HybridZ

Electric fuel pump failure

Has anyone ever experienced a failure with a Mallory fuel pump? The specific pump I'm talking about is the 70 series gear type pump, intended for carbs. I appears that the electric motor has failed. I disassembled the bad pump to see what I could see, but it appeared that there was no mechanical failure.....no crud, no galling, no broken parts. The motor just quite. I used a 12 volt power supply to test the motor but at best the motor only tried to turn but would not come up to speed. I did replace the unit with a new one, which by the way work just fine. I'm just interested in knowing if these units are typically unreliable. What do you think guys?

Hey Mike! Yah, I have a filter between the tank and pump. I've actually observed the setup while running...plenty of fuel flow, no hoses attempting to collapse!!! Prior to the pump failing, all worked fine for approximately two years. Mind you, the car is usually driven only on the weekends. Somehow I just think I had one of those Monday or Friday production units......you know what I mean? Anyway, the new unit is working fine. I quess I will get an answer in about another two years!

Thanks for your input though!

Tom