HybridZ

Mr2 intercooler??

GrayZee

Ok, as some of you already know I am in the process of a Vg30et swap in a 87 pathfinder. I was offered a intercooler from a 91 Mr2 turbo (for free) The first thing that crosses my mind is that it is meant for a engine of a much smaller displacement. However.. the shape of the cooler and pipes coming out of it are perfect to fit in the pathfider. Would it be a good or bad idea to install this intercooler? Even if it was just temporaraly because anyway I look at it I'll have to custom make a turbo to throttle pipe, might as well plumb it infront of the rad while I'm at it and build a nice custom intercooler later on.

Also the Mr2 turbo produces a very similar amount of power at the vg30et both are 200hp and the nissan pushes 220ft/lbs where the Mr2 falls in at 200ft/lbs

The Mr2 cooler is very small though, what do you think? More harm than good??

Stay away from the 3SGTE IC - if you are going through the trouble of installing an IC, get a decent one (eBay has some awesome deals!), you will be much happier.

Those stock Toyota ICs are nothing short of rubbish, sorry to be blunt, but I have tested them on various cars and never been impressed. There is no coincidence that its being offered to you cheaply!

Its a known fact that these factory ICs are not very good, and that is one of the first things most Toyota owners upgrade right away.

Yasin

Thanks for the info Yasin, it is kinda a cheezy looking thing anyway! :D

Actually are you saying that it is so bad that I would be better with a pipe from the turbo to the throttle than without a intercooler at all? If that's the case, than that's fine it's just that the unit was "FREE" I'm more worried about the swap right now than fabbing or buying a intercooler.

Well to be honest the 3SGTE IC is better than no IC at all, running boost straight to the TB is going to limit how much boost you can run.

I would really check eBay, there are some smoking deals on ICs on there.

A turbo car and (a good) IC, is like Whitney and Bobby - they are meant to be together (okay bad analogy....LOL!).

Ironically you can sell that 3SGT%E on eBay for a reasonable price and get a decent IC

Regards - Yasin