HybridZ

SBC temp sending unit...

Guest butlersZ

Not to argue with Mike' date=' who literally "wrote the book", but I used a stock Chevy sending unit on my conversion. I recalibrated the Z Temperature gauge to match the Chevy sending unit.

AL[/quote']

I've got the JTR book...thanks Mike!

AL: what does this "recalibrating" entail?

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Kevin: I found that my temperature gauge on my 75 Z was reading almost 25* too high with the Datsun sending unit. Which makes me wonder how many "overheating problems" are really malfunctioning sending units or gauges. The gauge has an adjustment on the back to move the needle. To calibrate the gauge you need a pot of water, accurate thermometer and propane torch. Place the sending unit with sending wire attached in the water with the thermometer (I wired the probe on the thermometer and sending unit together to keep them in the same plane). As you heat the water with the torch,watch the temperature registered on the thermometer and temp gauge and adjust the gauge accordingly.

I found the needle sweep on my gauge to be linear. At 1/4 sweep it registers around 155*, at half sweep it's 185*, etc. You can maintain a constant water temperature by adjusting the flame on the torch.

I started to have problems with the adaptor bushing ,for the Datsun sending unit in the SBC. I bought a regular Chevy sending unit and just screwed it directly in, and just readjusted the gauge.

AL

Guest butlersZ

So which then would be more reliable, chevy or datsun sending unit? and more accurate? Also, what about mechanical vs. electrical if the SBC sending unit is used, is there an advantage to either one? I understand that if the mechanical was used, a new gauge would have to be used. Any opinions?