HybridZ

LS1 / T56 Update #38, Brake Upgrade

Well, the new brakes are on - sort of. Everything is installed, filled with fluid, and tested but have a few concerns/problems.

At this point I have no adjustable proportioning valve and the front brakes lock up well before the rear - BUT - I'm still running the '77 280Z master cylinder. I think I have successfully proven two things. On my car you need the bigger piston pushing more oil to get it to the rear brakes better and, yes, the drum brake rear check valve does hold residual pressure on the rear brakes causing them to not fully disengage.

I am picking op an '80 280ZX master cylinder today. Found out you can get a new one from O'Reilly's (not a rebuilt) for less than half the price of a new Nissan one. Also found out that MSA doesn't have Nissan units any more in this variety.

Also, the brake lines going out to the 240SX calipers are scary close to the inside edge sheetmetal of my rear fender wells. I think I may have a rubbing problem there but it should be an easy fix.

That all being said, the JSK Willwoods on the front are definitely impressive and make the 240SX calipers on the back look pretty puny.

Once the new MC is in I'm going to start driving it and figuring out the balance. At this point I may actually have to put the proportiooning valve in the front line - but - once the new MC is in - it may change again. :D

Started driving the car this past weekend. At this point the front-rear balance feels pretty good but I haven't "put it to it" yet. I also seem to have a pretty healthy shudder/flutter in the right front that I need to track down. Like I said before, need to put some miles in it and get the pads set and then check for performance and the potential brake line, body interference in the back.