HybridZ

Transistor Ignition Unit Question

SportZ2

Can someone help me out on this. I want to bypass the TIU becaiuse a friend that I sold my turbo needs it for his 240Z. I'm guessing that I don't need it in my 280 since I have gone to a carbed 350. With this being the case, what is the easiest way to bypass it so that the ignition still works. Any advice would be much appreciated. I did some searching but couldn't find anything specific on it. Thanks in advance.

I take it, this is for a '73.

MSD box would be the easiest way to get around it. I was running with the TIU unplugged from my 260 for atleast a year with the MSD 6AL, before I stripped her for paint. Follow the instructions on the box and you should be ok on the install. You also shouldn't need the tach adapter in the 240. I'm actually running a 280 tach in my 260 without the adapter.

This question pertains to my 280Z. I figure there is a way to run the ignition without the TIU since I'm giving it to the person that bought my turbo motor (he is putting it in his 240Z). I would like to keep the same wiring system that is already in the car. I just figured i would ask first before tracing wires and rerouting them. There is no mention of this in the JTR manual.

Oops, my bad!

I thought I had read it properly. To many hours at work lately, I guess.

I wouldn't think it would work aswell with the 280 as it has ignition relays for the fuel injection, along with the thermo time, head temp and fuel pump relays, but since you have a carbed 350 in it, I still will fall back on the MSD box(I have researched this to some extent in the JTR manual). All you need is to control the spark. You should already have the fuel pump worked out, being you will need lower fuel pressure. Ignition switch hook up to the MSD box and connecting the box to the dist. and tach is all you need. You should be good to go.

I'll have to research the wiring in my fsm for my 280, but it should work the same way.

This might help; I am using a 280zx dizzy (with the black box on the side of it) and SU carbs in my 75 280z. I just took out that TIU box, and pluged the zx dizzy into the coil.. just like I would with an MSD box if I put that it (I have one on a shelf, but the zx dizzy is working for now.. so why mess with it right?!) Nothing else is affected by removing this box.. as far as I know, its just hooked up to the computer harness.. and you wont be using the Z ECU anymore if you have a carb'd 350!

Traced all the wires from the ignition and the TIU and it looks like it's a deadend box just like the voltage regulator which I've already removed. Since all my wires are ready to go from the directions in the JTR book, I think it's safe to keep the TIU box out of the loop. Thanks for the help guys. Also, kudos to to a guy (wal280z) over on classiczcars.com who recreated the wiring diagram for a 77 280Z using autocad. I was able to print out a full size version in grayscale to have in front of me and also had the hires image in color on my screen to refer to. Made it a lot easier to follow. And full size means I had to tape together 12 pages of printout (49" across). Well worth the extra time to do that.

• Thanks 1

Boy, do I feel stupid. I just found out where the JTR manual talks about the TIU. The stupid part is I read it when I was getting my wires together and I didn't remember it. Oh well, I guess this post is meaningless at this point. The info was on page 10-1.