HybridZ

rebuilding 280zx rails dimensions please

Guest cs14silvia

Usually you just cap the originals with 12 ga mild steel.Jack it up and have at it with a tape measure.Sketch up what you think you need,all dimensions should be shown as inside dimenssions because whatever you have made will need to fit over the old rails.This is the easy way and will last for a while.The better,harder more expensive way is to cut the old rails out and have them duplicated.I make rail caps for 1st gen Z's and sell them thru "Bad Dog Parts" but I dont have patterns for a ZX.

Guest cs14silvia

do I need to take out the transmission??

without cutting the floor pan means going under neath?

so the floor pan is not attached to the rails???

305240z thanks for the offer

actually sending stuff over to here aint that expensive ~ depends on how long I d like to wait :)

was thinking using stainless steel~ MIG or ARC welders you guys using or TIG??my floor pan got some sorta leak so hopefully its the robber plugs

still trying to get rid of the black sticky stuff on the floor pan

Guest cs14silvia

by cutting the rails

do u mean the whole rails or just damaged sections?

do you have photos or documentations about how this should be done.

I ve seen one of the panel beater doing this, he just hammer out the bent sections and weld some mild steel onto the rails to reinforce it, I was thinking to cut the mid to rear sections and weld new ones in place.

before I repair/replace the rails do I need to sand the underneath surface to bare metal?

12gauge?16gauge? sorry I am not so familiar with this. is it the spec of thickness?

one more question about floor pan/rail

I thought the floor pan is welded on the rail, how do you repair the rail without cutting the floor ( in order to reach/weld)