HybridZ

a few nitrous setup questions

spork

Well, I read through a bunch of the archives and answered most of my questions. First off, I have an 83 280zxt with a rebuilt l28et punched .30 with venolia forged pistons(7.7:1 comp.), polished rods, arp hardware (rods, mains, and head bolts/studs) it has the usual bolt ons with a T3/T04E turbo, portmatched head and manifolds and so on. I'm currently running 25psi and have approx 350hp to the wheels and its all operating off an sds em4-f. Anyways, heres the questions. I'm running a walbro255hp (high pressure) pump. I'm wondering if my pump will handle running the nitrous along with its regular duties of feeding my 550cc injectors. It will be a single fogger wet kit and I plan on starting with a 75 shot and eventually moving to a 125 when I make sure the 75 is operating properly. I've also been told to pull approx 2 degrees of timing for every 50hp shot. Does this sound correct? I'm currently running 19 degrees at 25psi without any problems so I figure on my nitrous runs I'll bring it down to 14 degrees with the 125 shot. I've also been running 110-116 fuel depending on which speed shop is open when I need it. Am I forgeting anything important? I have both an egt guage and wideband to monitor fuel and so on. Any advice from nitrous users is welcome

2* for every 50rwh is my rule of thumb I use.What saftey sytems are you using? I wouldn`t shoot more than a 80rwh shot on a L series motor with a single fogger as #1 cyl will tend to run lean .With a port N20 system the sky is the limit.I would personally run a larger fuel pump with the bigger shot.(over 100rwh).For saftey sytem I would suggest using a RPM window switch MSD makes a very reasonable one.A full throttle switch and a clutch switch as well as afuel pressure switch.A bottle heater is a must as well.I going to be using LPG as a fuel for my nitrous system and setting it up this winter.The reason being is that any turbo N20 motor will have an initial lean spot when the nitrous is first engaged due to the nitrous reaching the cylinder before the fuel.Nitrous traveling at 1000psi and fuel traveling at 70psi max.This will cause the turbo to spool up and a boost creep to occur, while lean for abour 500 rpm.With LPG traveling at 450psi it will reach the cylinder withing .002 of a second of the nitrous.I will be selling my seperate fuel system for my nitrous in the near future.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm running a 100HP NOS kit on my 280Z w/ Holley carb. Your fuel pump will handle the extra flow, but are your lines capable of the extra volume?? In my system, I relocated the battery to the hatch, and installed a 1 gal JAZ fuel cell in the battery spot. You lift the inspection hatch to fill it, and I run 116+ racing fuel in it for the NOS system. The fuel cell has its own fuel pump, and this makes it simple to set up the fail-safe interlocks. I'm running, low fuel pressure dropout, wide-open-throttle switch, and an activation switch mounted on the console behind the shifter. That way you can never be on the button and shifting. The system is working great, best time to date is 11.67 @ 121.

Bill