HybridZ

Valve adjustment question

Two questions for everyone... I have a Crane cam - 114681, its a solid lifter cam. It says to set the valves at .026 hot. What would be the cold setting?

Next.. I know with SBCs there is an easier way of setting the valves instead of doing it by firing order. Anyone know? It's a lot diffetent when you can't see the cam! :shock:

Thanks!!!

Usually the intake and exhaust valves have a different gap (intake tighter than exhaust) so double check that. Crane should be able to give a cold setting, but if not, set them .035 and warm it up, then reset.

To set lash by firing order, get # set of rockers, rocking (ie intake closing, exhaust opening) and set it's opposite counterpart. Then move on through the firing order...

Tim

As the exhaust starts to open adjust the intake. As the intake opens and is almost closed adjust the exhaust. Do you have iron heads and block? If so adjust them .022 cold and check the clearance after you warm it up. Set it to .026 hot , let it cool back down and check your cold setting.

Sorry, I don't know of any way to compensate so I would do them hot.

But, here's a tip for you.

Set the engine with the number 1 piston at TDC on the EXHAUST stroke and adjust the:

Exhaust rockers of cylinders 2, 5, 6 and 7

Intake rockers of cylinders 3, 4, 6 and 8

Now rotate the crank 360 degrees (1 full turn) so the number 1 piston is at TDC on the COMPRESSION stroke. Adjust the:

Exhaust rockers of cylinders 1, 3, 4 and 8

Intake rockers of cylinders 1, 2, 5 and 7

That should help speed up the job. :-D

Heh.. I'm just building the engine so there is no way I can do them hot!

Thanks Speed Racer! That's the method I was looking for!

To: jap tin.. I have aluminum heads... So I'm not sure... I'll probably go with a loose .022 and check them after I get it started the first time.

Unfortunately Crane is in Florida and closed down Wednesday through next week because of the hurricane and Labor day, so I can't find out from them!!!

Thanks everyone!!!

Go to cranecams.com they recomend with aluminum heads and iron block to go .006 tight from hot setting to start. They also recomend the old tryed and true method for adjusting the valves. As the exhaust starts to open andjust the intake. As the intake opens and is almost closed adjust the exhaust.