HybridZ

Oil Consumption?

cygnusx1

How much oil use is "normal" for a 110K motor boosted to 14psi? I seem to have to add a quart every 2-3K. The intercooler lines are bone dry and the plugs are fairly clean so I think it's just crankcase blow-off into the PCV. Yes the intake manifold is a bit sticky inside. I dont see it going out the tailpipe but I definately think my valve seals are tired based on the downhill smells. Normal for an old dog??

EDIT, the water and oil are not mixing.

Guest bastaad525

you might be surprised how much oil is getting flung out the crankcase breather thru the PCV into your intake. I run an open breather on there and let me tell you the thing makes a mess and FAST. If your seals were bad (as mine were) I'd bet on seeing smoke and dirty spark plugs. I'd say having to add one quart within 3k miles (the period of a usual oil change) isn't bad. You have no leaks at all? My Sentra has 145k miles on it and I had to put about a half quart after about 1000 miles. My Z I have to top off more but I do have a leak, albeit a small one.

Hey cygnus off topic I know but I had a quick question for you, FMU related, of course. I was wondering if you could tell me, at the setting you have the FMU bleed set to now, how much does 1psi of boost affect fuel pressure? Reason I'm asking is, having recently upped the boost to 14psi from 12psi, I once again have NO idea what my fuel pressure is running at, just wondering how much fuel pressure rises... I dont think it's a flat rate of gain (like 2:1 or whatever).

Bast, my engine has NO leaks. I changed ALL the gaskets and used sealant on them as well. I didn't ever want to get my picasso motor paint job dirty. So then I must be getting blowby. I do have a vented catch can ready to go in. I just cant find room for it :roll: in the engine bay. I also have brandy-new Viton valve seals on my tool bench just waiting for winter.

You know what I will try to do tonight....I will set the compressor up and see if I can graph the fuel curve pressure vs boost every 2psi using the BEGI and MS excel.

Guest bastaad525

You know what I will try to do tonight....I will set the compressor up and see if I can graph the fuel curve pressure vs boost every 2psi using the BEGI and MS excel.

That'd be sweet.

I'm so stuck right now w/o being able to see what the a/f curve or even fuel pressure are doing any time I make a change... friggin sux. I need more gauges!!!!

I need access to a compressor so I can try like 20 tests that I have in mind to see exactly how this thing works! By the way so far so good with running the grainger valve inline with the FMU, I posted an update in that thread.