HybridZ

Looking at a V8 78 2+2

Hi. This is my first time on this site. I own a 76 n.a. 280z so im familiar with the z community. I have the opprotunity to buy a 77 280z with a 350 with a blower on it... for 1500 dollars. I havent looked at the car in daylight yet but I wasn't real happy with what I saw. For example the hood was all cut up nasty and the rear end of the car was all jacked due to somebodys failed attempt to change the way the taillights looked. So im alittle afraid of the rest of the fabrication. My question is: other than the normal z issues like rust what should I look out for concerning how the 350 was put in the car and all the various conversions that had to take place. I wouldn't mind having a z with a 350 in it...but I dont want it if its crap. Thanks for your replies.

Welcome here fellow Z-er. First thing (and this depends on where in the world you are) the state of Cal requires all 1976 and newer vehicles to have Smog-Certs. If you aren't required to pass smog, then check for structural reinforcements inside and beneath. See how the tranny x-member is attached. Also check how far back (close to the firewall) the engine has been placed. Most of it comes down to your better judgement. If you have a buddy who knows both ends of a wrench, bring him or her along to do the pre-sale assesment. Sometimes a friend will notice something or, raise a question we would otherwise overlook (maybe cause were too busy drooling) 2+2 huh? IMO when you begin carrying passengers, you've crossed that invisible line between sportscar and sedan. 2 door 4 seater? Would that be like a 4door 2 seater? Just my worthless 0.02! Welcome again, lots of great info here, along with some occational scarcasam. (my lame attempts at humor)

Here is an update on the 2+2. I decided to not to get it because of several reasons. Being a S.C. car it was full of rust. The rust had almost gone through the floor pans and the frame rails were rusted out at some points. The rear end was involved in an accident which accounts for the 20 pounds of bondo trying to cover it up. The engine was put in too far foward using metal brackets as engine mounts. I dont know how the engine runs because it wouldn't start. The car still had the stock radiatior trying to cool the engine. I didn't see one extra piece of metal put in to support the frame. And lastly the interior was non existant but he had alot of replacement carpet in the year. Plus the car needed to be painted.

So I think it would take way too much money to get the car to even look like a junker. Thanks for your inputs, it has helped me make my decision. Not a steal by any means.

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

IF THE BLOWER WAS STILL GOOD AND THE TRANS WAS WORTH ANYTHING $1500 WOULD BE A DECENT PRICE TO REMOVE ALL THE GOOD FROM THE BAD CHASSIS AND PUT IT INTO ANOTHER CAR.

So I think it would take way too much money to get the car to even look like a junker. Thanks for your inputs, it has helped me make my decision. Not a steal by any means.

wecvusmc,.............Smart decision :!:

I would not touch anything on that car and I bet the blower was just thrown on that engine. If your going with a blower pm me because they require a special build of engine or you might as well take your money and toss it in the street!! Take your $1500 and continue your quest. There's one out there for you. :lol:

LARRY

While cruzing thru the local shopper here I ran across an interesting add. The add states: Custom V8 240Z, restored, fast. $2900. 541-471-4149. If anyone is interested, I can do a precheck for you with pics. Living in Southern Oregon, it usually means a relativly rust free car. It's a local phone number for me, so it isn't like I'm going out of my way to do this.