HybridZ

Dash and Stereo Wiring (71 240z)

CasperIV

I bought this car planning to build a performance car, but I'm starting to think that I will need a stereo in it. After getting it mechanically sound, I moved into the dash to stick a CD deck in and found myself stumped. In my dash there are only about 4 wires not connected to anything, and none of them are hot. The pervious owner had a CD deck in the thing, but I’m not finding a 12v wire I can use for power or a constant 12v for memory. Can you guys help me out and tell me what colors I should be tracing to figure this out? Right now I’m wondering if the wires are actually missing and it would be faster for me to pull the dash and run some new wire.

IMO, don't worry about those stock wires, just run new from the battry + and find a screw/bolt under there somewhere for a ground. It's really simple to run a wire throught the firewall. No need to remove the dash.

As for an 'acc' wire, you need to find a wire thats hot with the key turned on.. (maybe jump something off the fuse panel?) ..or just run it compleatly separate and remember to turn off the stereo whenever you turn off the car. Hope this helps.

Im not sure if its the same, but my stereo's 12v constant is hooked up to the ignition and my sub's 12v constant is hooked up the the cig lighter. The cig lighter would prolly be the most convinient since it's like 5 inches from your head unit...

hope that helps