HybridZ

Best placement for temp sending unit?

Guest butlersZ

Guest butlersZ

Hey Guys,

I was wondering which is the better placement for the SBC temp sending unit, in the side of the head or in the intake manifold? The reason being because I took a stock '78 280 Z temp sender and soldered it into a threaded adapter to screw in to the chevy. When I started the car up the temp gauge went up half way then went down a little past the "f" on the gauge meaning the thermostat was working, then after 1-2min. of tuning the carb I go back to look at the temp guage and its over 250 :shock:

So I shut it off and waited about 30 sec. or so then turned on the IGN./ACC. to see the temp guage and it was a hair over the "f" on the guage. So I am confused as to where to put the temp sender, in the head or the manifold? Which is more accurate? The engine didn't seem as if it were over heating, water was not boiling over, radiator was cool,etc.

I took a stock '78 280 Z temp sender and soldered it into a threaded adapter to screw in to the chevy.

You may have damaged the sender when you soldered it in the adapter.

I have had the sender in the head and in the intake manifold and could not see any differance in either one. I'm sure one will be a little differant than the other but it must be slight because I couldn't see any diff....

I was thinking the same thing, about damage to the sender that is. The parts in the sender are soldered together and you likely melted the solder inside when you soldered on the outside.

If you have older heads with 1/2"NPT holes then the JTR book shows you how to make an easy adapter with just a drill and a tap. If you have the later heads with 3/8"NPT holes then you want a Stewart-Warner sending unit adapter for the later Chevy heads. It's about $5 at most better autoparts stores. You will have to file down the Datsun nut a little and I believe I drilled the the S-W adapter a little deeper but it is still easy to do. This is better anyways since you dont have to custom modify a new sending unit if your old one ever goes out.

Which, it sounds like, it may already have. (shrug)

Thanks for posting Mike.

There you go, no drilling or filing. Wish those were around when I did mine. I almost pulled my hair out tring to solve that little problem.

FYI, the S-W adapter is not a perfect thread match to the Datsun nut. It works but given that Mike now makes this piece I would steer people to the JTR adapter. At $19 it's a bagain.