HybridZ

Rb26dett turbo flange

Lotus7

I'm having some flanges made as we speak. James Thagard http://www.speedshopthagard.com hooked me up with a guy, and I sent him in a Tomei metal exhaust gasket I just bought from Japan.

Mine will be two 3 bank flanges, but I'm sure he can make it all in one peice.

This was the contact email James sent me.....

Please send your gaskets to the following address. The cost on the flange

will be in the $75 range from 3/8" mild steel.

Davesport, L.L.C.

43019 SE. 174th St.

North Bend, WA 98045

http://www.davesport.com/cgi-bin/davesport/

Joel S.,

I can have 3/8ths or 1/2" Stainless plate "water-jet" cut if you can send me your Tomei gasket. The finished product is great ! I'm in the process of building parts for my 98' RB26DETT thats going into a Widened all wheel drive S30 70'. I'll pay for shipping both ways if needed !

Just let me know if you can send it ?I'll bve very careful with it of course,.....Vince

Joel S.' date='

I can have 3/8ths or 1/2" Stainless plate "water-jet" cut if you can send me your Tomei gasket. The finished product is great ! I'm in the process of building parts for my 98' RB26DETT thats going into a Widened all wheel drive S30 70'. I'll pay for shipping both ways if needed !

Just let me know if you can send it ?I'll bve very careful with it of course,.....Vince[/quote']

Vince, you have a PM waiting... 8)

Might want to re-think the one piece idea, especially in stainless. You may find that your end studs get sheared off of the head after some heat cycles. SS expands quite a bit more that cast iron, and aluminum (Drax will post the different co-efficients soon) :D , so if it is one long piece, it will grow quite a bit. Better to cut it into smaller sections of 2 or 3 cylinders, have a look at the quality aftermarket headers and you will notice that they have expansion slots or multi-piece flanges. Best to oversize the mounting holes also, for the same reason.

Happy Building! - Doug

Yeah actually here are the coefficients of thermal expansion for some common automotive materials:

6061-T6 Aluminum 24.30µm/m*°C

304 Stainless Steel 17.82µm/m*°C

Malleable Cast Iron 12.10µm/m*°C

Mild Steel C1020 11.34µm/m*°C

Ti Alloy (6%AL, 4%V) 9.50µm/m*°C

As you can see from the units the amount of growth is directly proportional to the length of the piece. When you are considering a inline 6 engine, the amount of growth in a flange that long can be quite significant, enough that it will expand and shear off bolts/studs.

Hrm, it just occured to me Doug that you might have been poking fun at me there. :P Ah well, a site build around technical information isn't complete without some technical information.