HybridZ

Paint Spray Gun help...

Guest butlersZ

Guest butlersZ

Ok, has anyone ever bought one of the cheap spray gun from Harbor Freight and had any success with it? The reason being is because soon the Z will be ready for paint and I need a gun that can do the task but do not want to pay a lot of $$$. Another question, Has anyone here had enough painting experience to say which type of spray gun is better, siphon feed or gravity feed?

I have never used a gravity feed and have been curious that which of the two styles is preferred. In my experience with the siphon feed, it is difficult sometimes to spray in some really tight places and upside down, the reservoir(can) gets in the way a lot. Now recently I have been looking at the gravity feed guns and they seem a lot more manueverable and versatile than the siphon feed, is this true? or is it based on the sprayers technique? Any feedback on which style of gun to get? Can a gravity feed spray upside down? as in spraying the underside of the rear fenders where the lip is...

Definately a gravity feed. For one they are way easier to maintain and clean. You can get these bags for them for the paint so when you are done you just pull the bag out and run some cleaner through. Lots less wiping etc. You also really minimize overspray. You save tons of paint. Remember they are High Volume Low Pressure, so less air too. I feel that they are just way better, but that is IMHO. I don't paint cars but am a prototyper and model maker and have painted car sized models using one.

Oh and I have used a DeVillibis or something like that name. Not sure what model but I think it was around 100bucks

Guest DiZeased_240

Not all gravity fed guns are High Volume Low Pressure. It must state that it is HVLP, otherwise it is a standard spray gun.

Whether it is gravity or siphon feed, both guns have advantages and disadvantages and it really just depends on personal preference.

As far as the Harbor Freight guns, I have no idea. Spray guns are like most other equipment, you get what you pay for. There is a reason they are cheap, less r&d went in to the development of the gun.

I personally use a Sharpe Platinum gravity fed HVLP and it sprays beautifully. Most of the higher end manufacturers sell factory refurbs of their guns. I know Sharpe does and you can get a list if you go to their website and request it through the sales department. It's a significant discount compared to the original price.

Hope this helps.

Guest butlersZ

Thanks for the input, I think I'll try to find gravity feed that meets my price range and give it a try. I was looking at one in particular from harbor freight, here's the link:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=34775

It looks nice and the description sounds good and appealing. What do you guys think???

In the link above there's a comment that a beefy compressor is needed to run a HVLP gun due to needing alot of flow at a low pressure. So, what sort of compressor are we talking about? I have a Craftsman 5hp with a 20 gallon tank. Is that sufficient, or am I stuck using my old high pressure gun? I really like the idea of less overspray and using less paint, but while I'm willing to spring for a new gun I'm not buying a new compressor!

Guest DiZeased_240

I would check the CFM required to run the spray gun vs. the amount you compressor can push. However, I doubt your 20 gallon tank can keep up with the pressure required by the HVLP.

You actually need more pressure to run an HVLP than a traditional gun.

Guest butlersZ

Well guys I had the chance to try an HVLP from a friend that he let me borrow to see if I liked it and the gravity feed setup. Well I too have a Craftsman 5HP 20 gallon compressor,not good. I went to lay some primer down on some fenders and a hatch and the compressor "ran out of air", well not entirely but to where the pressure started to drop rendering the gun unusable until it built back up :( And I myself don't like to stop and pause for the compressor to build up, especially not good for color coats :shock:

My friend says the compressor would have to be upgraded when I buy a new gun, so whether or not the HVLP is worth it comes into play. As for the gravity feed spray gun, and never having used one before, I must say it was nicer than the siphon feed. It's a lot more agile, less strain, and just feels better. I don't have the funds to get a spare compressor and HVLP gun at the moment, I'm thinking however that I will look around for a gravity feed thats not HVLP. I might try one of those Harbor Freight specials and I'll keep you guys updated on how it does.