HybridZ

Turbo "Timing" Question??

Guest zcarbum

Question??

When you set the timing on the L28ET.. ( book says 20deg).

Is this just like Mimicking the base line started point on the N/A with the vacuum Advance off???

Are you just setting the baseline for the system.. then the computer controls the ADV/RET from the imput recieved by the sensors??

****Just trying to understand it a little better!!! wondering why so far advanced on initail setting.. 20 seems a long ways.

Anyone help me understand???? :?:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am running 27 at idle now and it is SUPER torquey. I may be near or at detonation but it sure feels right. 83 motor. Stock EFI. FMU@60psi fuel@14psi boost...I am thinking of backing down a few degrees for piston preservation....I dont hear any ping but that doesnt mean it's not there. At 27, the idle is stronger and the turbo seems to run cooler also.

Guest bastaad525
I am running 27 at idle now and it is SUPER torquey. I may be near or at detonation but it sure feels right. 83 motor. Stock EFI. FMU@60psi fuel@14psi boost...I am thinking of backing down a few degrees for piston preservation....I dont hear any ping but that doesnt mean it's not there. At 27, the idle is stronger and the turbo seems to run cooler also.

It bears mentioning that the on the '83 motor you set stock timing to 24* at idle, as opposed to 20* for '81-82, which is why he's able to run 27* :) Don't think you could run 27* on an '81-82 heheh.

I run 22* at idle on an '81 setup and yeah the increase in low end torque from the +2* is very noticeable to me, not so much on boost but off boost driveability definatley improved noticeably. I run my setup very similiar to Cygnus' and also have no problems running this way, for what it's worth I do run a bit more fuel pressure than him though.

has anybody ever checked to see if the 81-83zxt cars had any kind of advance programed into the ecm's or do they run fixed timing?i have had my 77 turbo for years and have never bothered to check this.ialways ran the timing at 20btdc because i run more boost-14 psi on pump gas.