HybridZ

I have to cut a hole in my hood

Guest 305240

I thought this swap was going to be pretty easy. Well, it has so far. Today I mounted my header panel, fenders and lower valance. I had a stock twin snorkle Stang breather setting on the carb. No way. Took the breather off, along with the hold down bolt, put the hood on. I found out I only have about 1/2" clearance. I guess that's ok as I planned on building a cowl induction anyway.

No wonder I've got so much clearance around everything. The engine is setting about an inch too high! No problem, old school can persevere. I wanted to put twin K&N filters on it anyway. Ducting it out the front so it would look a twin turbo intake system. In my mind, it would sorta act as ram air. I've got a spare hood that is going to donate the center section to make my cowl induction. I refuse to spend 500.00 at JcWhitney for a fiberglass cowl hood! Old school can do this. I didn't have my own body shop for nothing!

God I love modifications!

It may be time to mod again. I just set a regular 14" chrome ait filter on top of the carb, closed the hood and have around 1/2 to 5/8ths inch of clearance. The stock filter is definatly taller.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like you will have enough clearance with your 14' air cleaner. But for what its worth I have a early Z hood here I am willing to part with. It will fit a 4 inch high 14' element no problem. Metal skin was removed, Fiberglass bonded to the stock structure. Will take stock spring latch. I didn't build it. It's a unigue piece I have never seen one like it. Honestly its not perfect. It has a stress crack in the paint along the front about a foot long. Also sits a bit high in the rear windshield corners due to the fact the glass is much thicker than the typical metal hood. Other than its fault its pretty nice. If you want it or know some who does let me know.

Brian.normal_Picture%20021.jpg[img]

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Scumdog, with the shipping, it would kill me. But I do have some good news. I just saved a bunch of money by switching to.....lol.....I just had to put that in. I aquired another 300zx parts car. The center of the 300zx hood is more than wide enough for what I need. It may not be as pretty as yours, but I will be able to run the intake system I want. Thanks again.