HybridZ

Z32 Engine Swap Information ?

Guest Seijirou

Guest Seijirou

Hello. This is my first post on this forum. I am very interested in your site and engine swaps. I have a NA Z32 2+2 and was wondering what kind of engine swaps I could perform on it. The thing is, I'm totally new to this and have no idea where to start. I just have some basic questions maybe you all could help me with... The first is, what are the engines I could choose from and is there a "best" one? Keep in mind, this is for a Z32. My second question is, how expensive would a conversion cost, total? I need to know if this sort of thing is even an option for me. Any help and info would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Guest Seijirou

So, from the information you provided me it looks as if my options are probably, LS-1, VG, RB, or 2JZ. I've also heard of the SR20DET being an option... And these would all total at around something like $10,000? Does that sound about right? Are there any other compatible engines for a Z32? I've seen a Corvette engine in one before as well (LS-6?). Also, I read from your info someone said putting a V-8 in will be the best option, hands down. Is that true?

So, from the information you provided me it looks as if my options are probably, LS-1, VG, RB, or 2JZ. I've also heard of the SR20DET being an option... And these would all total at around something like $10,000? Does that sound about right? Are there any other compatible engines for a Z32? I've seen a Corvette engine in one before as well (LS-6?). Also, I read from your info someone said putting a V-8 in will be the best[/i'] option, hands down. Is that true?

$10,000 maybe about right, adding in all the little things with motor, and tranny.

A Corvette engine could be an LS6 or an LS1.

I think using the LS1 kit, the V8 will be the easiest swap. The other engines, you are on your own when it comes to mounts, and wiring.

P.S. Welcome to the site!!

Guest Seijirou

Mmm, a little too expensive for me right now. But as a future option, an engine swap sounds great. I just have one more question... What decides what engine would suit you best? Do you simply find the one that has the best specifications? I think I would want to look for the most tunable, as in the one that will give the most. Out of curiosity, out of the engines I listed, would the V8 really be the best choice among those engines in terms of tuning capabilities?

P.S. Welcome to the site!!

Thank you! :)

Oh yeah, and one more thing... When you said $10,000 was probably about the cost, is that including the motor and tranny, or no?

Welcome Seijirou,

Are you Japanese?

Any way, there are many deciding factors on the engine, cost, weight, power, etc. but in the end it's whatever your personal preference is. I chose the american v8 because of parts availability, pep boys, mail order, etc.

Also, power is easy to make vs. making 500hp in a supra engine, you need new turbos, more fuel, more computers to control it, etc. etc. and after all that, the engine is more like a race engine, rather than being streetable.

Check out some of the LS1 engine owners here, making much power with just an intake and cam swap!

I'm sure an SR20DET would fit in the Z32, but the car is heavy isn't it?

Owen

Hey! Welcome to the board! You'll feel right at home here. :wink:

I have an LS1 in my z32 and am very happy with my choice despite the small tech problems I am having here and there. My swap cost quite a bit to get everything running correctly, but it's worth it.

ANY of the engines mentioned in this thread would be great options... you might want to stay away from the Sr20det since the z32 is a bit heavy and you wouldn't make as much power/torque as you could with the other options.

Aside from my swap, one other LS1 swap and a few standard carbed Chevy 350 swaps... a sawp in a z32 is going to be a lot of guesswork, frustration & trial and error. I'll be the first to tell you though.. pioneering a swap has got to give one of the most satifying feelings once the car is actually up and running. :) Just pick your favorite motor, and get to work!

As far as engine upgradeability goes... any option would be fine. Supras have a huge market for parts and have great engines. The LS1 is aluminum and can be modded a fair bit too. It's all up to what you want in your Z... if you want turbos, go with the 2jz, for All-motor a v8 is going to be a better option.

If you want to see more of my swap.. check out this page and look on 'page 2' for the pictures. :)http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/698415/1

Lemme know if you have any questions, I'd love to help. :D

-Vann