HybridZ

Boost Control Problems

Bernardd

I'm using a grainger valve to control boost. I'm having a hard time getting it to work. It seems to be allowing air thru to the wastegate. I have to tighten the wastegate actuater arm to increase boost. Do these things fail? There's nothing in it really to fail. I've tested the valve with regulated air and it was set to bypass air at 15 psi but sometimes it will allow a small amount of air to the wastegate before opening completely. Any else have this issue?

Bernard

Guest bastaad525

yep had this happen too. Every so often some tiny amount of dirt will get in there (doesn't happen now since I switched the signal feed from the turbo body to the intake manifold, at least, hasn't happened yet) and keep the ball from seating properly, letting air thru. Mark it so you can put it back together exactly as you had it, take it apart and clean the inside. I've had to do this twice in about a year... suddenly the car would only boost or slightly above stock levels... always freaks me out before I figure out what it is :)

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

I've had the best result with those valves using all steel braided lines and even then I still like the turbo XS valve more.

Found my problem. I used a variable air supply and did some testing. Firstly my grainger valve has shims in it and they weren't straight so the ball wasn't seating properly. Secondly my home designed wastegate/downpipe/swingvalve setup isn't moving freely. I didn't install a sleeve around the swingvalve stem. The car will be off the road in two weeks for storage so I'll have to address that.