HybridZ

LAAGGGIIING FROM IDLE TILL BOOST HITS!

BIGJIM

I have an 81 zxt with an auto trans. I know the auto cant be helping my situation. My car seems like the slowest pile of $hit in town from a stop till the boost starts to spool up, then it takes off like a bat out of hell. Just about ANY car on the road cant leave me behind till boost. I also get a popping now and then when i give it full throttle from a dead stop. Is this car way out of tune? I havent dont much of anything to the engine since i bought the car. Any help is appreciated.

Sounds like the car is a little out of tune. Probably a combination of timing and fuel mixture. You can get a very hard launch holding the brake and getting the RPM up to the point right before the torque converter locks. I personally donno how strong the stock trans is though, and doing this a few times does heat the tranny up quick.

The stock turbo really spools quickly. A larger throttle body will help the off line respons, but without an intercooler, and stock turbo I bet it spools at 2k rpm

I once drove an automatic ZXT and from what I remember thats sort of the way it felt. Not much power then wham it all hit at once and took off.

No dought you may other issues but, I think thats kind os how they where made. Can anyone confirm this?

As for the other issues check all of your vacuum hoses and make sure all your grounds and electrical connections are good. This can make or brake one of these cars.

Guest 2slo4u

Yeah, both of mine have been like that. But, by holding the brake and letting the rpms get up.....WOO HOO! :-D I went to the drag strip a few weeks ago and did five or six runs and the transmission held up well. Did a few burnouts at the starting line to warm the tires up too. :twisted:

81zxturbo

95slobaru