HybridZ

z cam in L24E

onephatz

I just bought a '82 maxima with 66xxx miles on it. problem is it's kinda slow(compared to my z ;). it has the stock L24e motor in it. I had to replace the head gasket and while it was off I figued i could steal a cam off a n-47 z head I have laying around and drop it in the max.

my question is: since the block is already notched for the larger valves(stock) can I install a z cam with larger lift without the valves making contact with the block or do I need to cut out the block a little more for valve clearance?

thanks

jesse

I don't think you'll have any valve-to-block or to-piston problems but you do need to change the intake valve springs to L28 springs. There are ways this can be done with the head on the car by getting a cylinder to TDC and applying compressed air to the spark plug hole which will keep the valve shut when you take the spring off and replace it.

Your Maxima has only 8mm rod bolts and 1.77ish" rod journals so don't push it too hard. A 240Z L24 (post mid-'72) shortblock would be more durable and give a higher c.r. with the Maxima head than the L24E shortblock. DAW

thanks daw

I saw your posts about the n47 heads eariler but didn't know if the notched block of the L24e would be enough for a z cam. I wanted to keep the car's orginal block for now cuz it's only got 66xxx on it. eventually I will put a L28 into her, but for now I'll have to live with the old girl the way she is.

another question... does the 280zx computer have a different fuel map that might give me better response, or are they even interchageable.

I'm just trying to do the little things for now that will keep it driveable/reliable for a while.

thank again

jesse