HybridZ

I have a list.. anything missing? tips/hints?

datsunlover

Ok, gona do a 351 Windsor swap this winter, trying to get evrything together (parts/issues) and PLANED now to get a budget going, and to have goals to shoot for. Also wanting to halt any 'while I'm at it' bugs from creaping in by having a 'game plan' to go on. Heres what I have so far;

-Rip out I6/trans and diff (it's toast, have a good r200/shafts to slide in)

-Clean frame/underbody and weld/strenghen chasiss. posible 4 pt cage (looking for local help with this one)

-Brake upgrade; zx M/C, toy 4X4 calipers/300zx rotor (for now.. I may ditch the drums and upgrade front again the folowing winter.. )

-new bushings all around for the suspension, posibly coil overs/good struts

-Source out suitable rad + trans cooler, electric fan(s)

-Get engine/trans (351/C4) and fab mounts

-figure out exhast routing ( :evil::?: oh boy...)

-fab driveshaft

-graft ford engine EFI harness into Z and make guages work/buy aftermarket stuf..

-fuel pump.. Holley?

Whew.. ok, what did I miss guys? :lol: Not lookin for 'other ideas/mods to do' but am I forgeting anything required to complete this install as 'basic' as possible? I know, the efi is gona be a pita, but I wana be able to turn the key, and drive it. (I'm really sick of that 'warm up for 15 mins or the Z goes POP fart BANG blaaaaaa.....) sooo.... thoughts? :)

DL,

Looks like you have it all laid out. Need a wheelborrow to carry the money in.

The only thing I'd suggest is going with a higher rear gear, a 5 speed or an AOD tranny. I've had a C-4 in mine for years and it's the only thing I'd change. If you are planning on driveing it quite a bit the 3:55 is a little low for interstate cruising. Mine turns about 3500 at 75mph. with the largest dia. 14" 60 series tires I can find. It'll run top end whatever your engine will turn or whatever your pucker factor is...

Adios Amigos,

Need a wheelborrow to carry the money in.

... the 3:55 is a little low for interstate cruising. Mine turns about 3500 at 75mph. with the largest dia. 14" 60 series tires I can find. It'll run top end whatever your engine will turn or whatever your pucker factor is...

First off, ha ha. :lol: pucker factor.. Yah.. As for the rear diff, I forgot to mention something; It came from an 81 zx, and from evrything I can find out, it'll be a 3:90 gear. :shock: but I have no choice anyway, as my 75's diff is fubar.. (grinding, clunking, screaming, leaking, ect) I don't do much cruising on the highway, so I figure it'll be ok.. I'd like a 5 gear, but the C4 comes already attached and working, with a Hurst ratchet shifter. It'll probly be a good thing (for a little while) for me to keep both hands on the wheel anyway.. :lol:

Let me beat the others to the punch,

Every time I read someone thinking of a lower final gear (like a TH350 in Chevy land) and talking about 3500+ in the 75mph range, I almost always read about three posts down, DON'T DO IT!!! I've heard so many reasons why you want the RPM to be about 2000 at 65 in the final gear, that I'm just going to say think twice.

3 of the past 5 cars I've owned have been Fords, and I love my F250, but it's final gear sucks. Luckily I would never dream of cruzing long distances in it, nor would I have to except now I'm considering pulling the 4-speed out of it or (hate the 2-3 shift anyway) to get a better RPM at 65. This dang thing runs close to 3g at 55! If it wasn't for the 35" tires I'd be maxed out at 75. :shock: The last thing you need is a race car that maxes out in the 90's. COME ON!!! :twak:

I'm planning on the SBC conversion with a 700R4 for my Z and probably a 700R4 with BBC in my beloved 4x4. It'll be 4k at 165 with my setup and enough power to make me happy sub 55 (i've been told).

Ford Rocks, and can be setup in whatever you want and can do anything... but Chevy is cheap and available... I'll take Chevy. :b_hand:

Just thought I should ask; Anything I'm missing/gona run into if I do this 'plan' to a 71 240z? (I was going to do my 75' 280 but just cant bring myself to chop her up.. Fortunatly, I have found a 71 that suits my needs.. heh heh) I know the spacer for the toy 4x4 brakes is thicker for the 240s, but are there major difrences between 240/280 that may cause me problems doing this swap? I posted a bit in the non tech about this 240 I'm looking at.. and no, I'm not gona go over to Chevy (even though it would seam to be 'easier'). This 351 deal is too good for me to pass up!

Also; I did a bit of searching as well, and assuming its the stock r180 (eeek... hope I dont kill it!) in the rear, the 3.54 gears will probly be more suitable for the 351/C4 auto..

Good thinking, keep it in mind. When you are on the freeway trying to pass that Honda and you can only go 100, you'll be pissed no doubt.

The R200? Is only a few hundred bucks, I would calculate the max speed and keep in mind around 2000 RPMs at 65mph in 4th :bonk: . I don't think there is anything wrong with this setup otherwise. Sounds like a fun project.

Yah.. arn't most of the r200's 3.54 as well? I'll have to wait and see if I get this 71 anyway..(evrything right now hinges on me selling a vehicle to gather some funds) .. the guy selling it said 'ther's like a posi in the rear or somethin..' :roll: Um.. yah.. :?: Have to keep in mind the guy selling it did NOT build it; it was a friend of his.. who I have yet to actually talk to. Car is still in the other guys name too.. Hopefully it'll work out this week.. I'm getting all psyched about the project already! :lol:

This guy might just be flipping the car. He might have put a MAACO job on it and is selling it before the 6 mo. warrenty expires and the car starts rusting like a B***. No one says you actually have to register the car if you can sell it within the time limit of the original deal :wink: . Slightly Illegal, but common.

DatsunLover,

If that 240 has an LSD R180 then you don't need to swap it for an R200. The weak point is the spider gears. The LSD should have 4 where the non-LSD would have 2. If it's a non-LSD it should also be a 3.39 gear ratio rather than 3.54.

If the R200 from the 280ZX has a 3.90 ratio you will definitely want an AOD tranny in the future or even swap in a T-5 or T-56.

The only things I saw missing from your list of items was the shifter, which you mentioned in a later post and upgraded fuel tank and lines. If you put it in the 280 you should already have a baffled tank but the 240 will not. You might need to upgrade the feed and return lines to larger size to feed to 351W. The stock feed line size is 5/16",not sure what the return size in the 280 is but the 240 just has vapor return lines which are definitely to small.

I'm swapping in an LT1 which is similar in size to the 351 and I'm using 3/8" feed and return and have added a baffled sump to my tank. The LT1 has a 5/16" return from the fuel rail so the 3/8" will be a little bigger than I need but I don't want to go to the extra effort to buy 2 different line sizes and they are both the same price.

I wouldn't use a holley pump either, get the Walbro GSL392. It's a good high pressure pump that will flow enough fuel for your engine.

Edit: Went back and re-read the thread. If you put the R200 into the 71 240 you'll need a new mustache bar, front and rear transverse link mounts and front diff mount. The early 240s had the diff mounted more forward than the later ones so you'll need to replace several of the pieces. Do a search on the internet or look in the JTR manual for a more definitive list of parts you'll need to replace. I'd also consider converting to 300ZX Turbo CV axles. It's relatively in-expensive and makes the rear end stronger.

Wheelman

Well, I did some searching and discovered what you just said about the mustache bar, ect last night.. And due to other issues (life related, not Z) I'm probly not going to grab that 240. I'd love to, even just for the parts.. but 'things' are not so good right now with the girlfriend, and living arangements may have to be re-aranged sometime very soon.. I also havn't had any luck selling my pickup.. :evil: so I think I'll just stick with the original plan and build my 280. At least I 'know what I've got' right now, and like my car too much to sell it next year. (Think about it; I build a 351w powered 240.. why woud I drive the stock 280 anymore?!? It would sit and rot.. :cry: )

I'm already disliking the idea of a C4, and may try to sell it, along with the ratchet shifter.. maybe trade for a T5.. somethng from a stang would probly work right? (custom bell housing? Would it handle the power? I'll search a bit...) I hadn't thought about the tank either.. mine is mint, AND has new fuel/return lines all the way up! Thanks for the info guys.. keep it coming! :)

I don't think you'd need a custom bell housing to mate a T-5 to the 351. As for a T-5 from a Mustang, make sure it's a World Class T-5 otherwise it won't last very long. The World Class units are supposed to be rated to handle 300ft/lbs of torque in a Stang sized car so should be able to handle a little more in the Z. You'll find that you either need to use a hydraulic throwout bearing or build a custom slave cylinder setup as most Mustangs used a cable clutch setup rather than hydraulic. I remember seeing a setup on here at one point when I was researching for a 5.0 swap but don't remember who did it. Terry(Blueovalz) or Al Silveria(alsil) would probably be a good place to start looking.

Not really sure what else you might run into so just ask lots of questions as you go.

If I remember correctly most of the problems have been solved at one point so searching should turn up answers to most of them.

Biggies are: Oil pan sump location, hood clearance and header availability.

Wheelman

Yah, the thing I'm finding is that the 351w is gona be a somewhat 'rare' swap into a Z.. most people opt for the 5.0 motor. And I'm gona run with manifolds for now if I can get clearance for them.. but my ford friend says I'd probly be able to use Mack shorties (unequal length, ment for stangs) ALSO; I really like the way my Z looks now, and don't want to make drastic changes.. ie; I don't wana put a big cowl/scoop on my hood.. Im gona try my darnest to do it.. I really want this to LOOK like the same car next year.. :twisted: