HybridZ

Good news & bad news... PCM is fried!!!

Well... I isolated my electrical problem today... geez.

After the coolant explosion.. I figured all of my electronics would go bad one way or another, but I never had the chance to dry them all out properly since I don't own an air compressor.

Disconnected the PCM connections to start checking pins individually to see if power and ground were being sent properly.. .:eek2: the PCM is fried. :(

Luckily the harness can be saved though. whew... that would have been a BIG hit on the wallet.

The tech who was checking everything for me has done an awesome job. It's nice that I finally found someone who has an appreciation for something as unique as my hybrid. His shop went and immediately found me a brand new 1998 PCM for only $340! That's an unbelievable deal. I paid $400 for a refurbished one and still had to flash it!

So I am very greatful that these guys have had the knowledge, ability and care to satisfy the customer and get my Z rolling again. They're even going to type up some info for me to present to the inspection shop so I can get compensation; since the PCM fried due to their laziness and non-existent attempt to help dry it out. (They made me sit outside with a comprssed air hose and do it myself as best I could. :( )

Anyways... these guys are going to get my new PCM and plug it in... and presto! the Z will run again! They fixed my starter switch too, so now it will actually crank without turning the key 42 times. :wink:

Once they plug in the new PCM, I'll bring her home and get to work on my overheating problem and my exhaust leak! After that... she'll be ready to roll! :D

-Vann

Not all that bad, but pay attention to detail, I'd still open and dry out every connector, the rad fluid still might be int he connectors and bridging the connectins, that could fry your new computer as well. Also, your exhaust leak is probably a crack, you had nice hot exhaust manifolds and then quenched them with relatively cold antifreeze, It's probably nothing that a good weld coundn't cure, Don't make my mistake when I was younger, I thought it was the gasket and kept tightening on it until the bolt broke. Probably another $100. Good luck and welcome to the world of endless weekend projects.

:wink:

Not all that bad' date=' but pay attention to detail, I'd still open and dry out every connector, the rad fluid still might be int he connectors and bridging the connectins, that could fry your new computer as well. Also, your exhaust leak is probably a crack, you had nice hot exhaust manifolds and then quenched them with relatively cold antifreeze, It's probably nothing that a good weld coundn't cure, Don't make my mistake when I was younger, I thought it was the gasket and kept tightening on it until the bolt broke. Probably another $100. Good luck and welcome to the world of endless weekend projects.

:wink:[/quote']

Yup.. the tech workin on it went through and dried it all out for me. :) He knows his stuff.

The exhaust leak was there prior to all this stuff. You can see where the gasket and manifold don't quite meet up. I wanted to switch to the better, metal gaskets anyways.. so I'm happy either way. :) oh.. the gaskets on cost me $11.. so I can save that extra $100 for another problem that'll probably pop up sooner or later! :wink:

-Vann

I thought I would bring this to your attention since you seem to think that the "coolant explosion" is causing all your problems. The connectors that are in todays cars(including your LS1 harness and sensors) are made to with stand 24 hours in a completely submerged water evironment. The connectors off the old datsuns are not, they are not weather pack connectors like todays are. I really dont think this "coolant explosion" is causing all your problmes. Sure it probably didnt help but I know and the guy working on your car (should know)knows that coolant spraying on an engine will not get into those connectors. I degrease & hose down engines all the time at work and never once have I had a PCM fry or have electrical problems afterwards.

Im just saying that maybe your harness is the problem and the guys that put your car together are the ones to be questioning.

Guy

I thought I would bring this to your attention since you seem to think that the "coolant explosion" is causing all your problems. The connectors that are in todays cars(including your LS1 harness and sensors) are made to with stand 24 hours in a completely submerged water evironment. The connectors off the old datsuns are not' date=' they are not weather pack connectors like todays are. I really dont think this "coolant explosion" is causing all your problmes. Sure it probably didnt help but I know and the guy working on your car (should know)knows that coolant spraying on an engine will not get into those connectors. I degrease & hose down engines all the time at work and never once have I had a PCM fry or have electrical problems afterwards.

Im just saying that maybe your harness is the problem and the guys that put your car together are the ones to be questioning.

Guy[/quote']

Nope.. I was there when we detattched the harness connectors from the PCM... the connections were completely toast.

-Vann