HybridZ

Electric fuel pump question

namz7791

I was on my way to work this morning when my 77 Z decided to die at a red light. It didn't take long to notice that my fuel pump was not buzzing merrily along even with my primer switch. After sitting on the side of the road for about 10 to 15 minutes the pump started working again and I continued my journey to work.

I have had the car on the road for a month now and have had no fuel pump operating issues, but on my test drives I was driving the Z pretty hard and using the fuel up. On my way to work I was in traffic so just drove casually along.

My pump is the Holley red, does anyone know if they have some sort of built in thermal protection that shuts them down if they start to overheat when fuel is not passing thru as fast as required? I do not have a return line - should I put one in to keep the pump pumping and not use its internal regulator?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Yep - I have a filter between the tank and the pump.

I talked directly to Holley and they indicated that the pump does have a thermal overload device built into the pump. Since the pump worked again a little while later they think that the pump is ok it just overheated.

Low fuel flow to the pump is usually the culprit. I mounted the pump in the same location as the Z stock pump. I am wondering if I am not getting enough gravity feed to the pump when the tank gets around half full since the line has to go up and over the half shaft.

Does any one have a better way or place to mount these pumps to ensure constant flow?

Thanks!

Mike' date=' Thanks for the info. The picture didn't come thru though :( - just says image by some web site. Please try the pic again.

Also, what fuel pump did you go with?

Sorry, go to my "www" at bottom of my post, then go to page 5. Mine is an inline high pressure pump for fuel injection. I can't remember the name.

It is pretty noisy but it never stopped me from running one. Just use some good rubber between the mounting brackets/frame and that will help.

Mike