HybridZ

Divided Plenum vs. Open Plenum???

Guest butlersZ

Guest butlersZ

Ok, I have an SBC intake that has an optional plenum divider that I can insert into the intake to divide the right and left banks of the intake to the carb. Now is there any advantage to having a divided plenum HP wise or TQ wise? And would it increase the vacuum signal to the carb or no?

It is a single plane intake that I got from a friend, Edelbrock Torker, the old school vintage one. A machine shop machined it for the plenum divider. I like this intake because the runners have a nice straight shot into the intake ports on the heads, plus it's old school and matched to my cam.

Old school, no doubt (but that's what mine is as well). I believe the plenum divider will slightly improve torque below the peak of your torque curve. It's been a long time since I've kept up with this issue, but I believe it's characteristics make a manifold behave in the relm between a dual plane and a single plane intake.

Guest butlersZ

Yeah, I was thinking it would imrpove the torque a little, I have noticed how most dual plane intakes have the divider built in. So then leaving the divider in would probably make the intake optimal for my engine setup, theres no dyno close by :cry: I guess I'll have to use the Ol' A$$ometer to judge the effect.

Then since dual plane intakes make use of the lower rpm's in it's powerband and single planes make thier power in the higher rpm

if someone had a problem deciding between a single plane and a dual plane intake, then could they have the best of both worlds by using a single plane with a divider?

By the way, is there anything one can do to the port floor of an intake just below the carb to keep the fuel from puddling up and promote atomization?

Guest JAMIE T

I have milled the center divider halfway down before with good results. Is your intake the Wiend Xcelerator? If it is, then run it without the divider. You'll be glad you did. It sucks as a dual plane, which it is not. It is on the other hand a fine single plane. Also, IMHO, a car as light as a Z can get away with a single plane in almost any application. Which leads me to my other pet peive with some folks with Hybridz. Use a double pumper carb. Too many guys run vac. secondary carbs with poor results. Those carbs are for heavy pig Chevelles and such.