HybridZ

Engine Powdercoating

Drftn280zxt

Thanks for the replies, I actually posted this incorrectly :oops: but still got good information out of it :-D . It was supposed to be -Engine Bay Powdercoating- that probably beneficial to huh. Only I guess you better make sure that every bolt/screw hole has a bolt/screw in it. That way you have to redrill an tap new holes :( . Am I right? I'm thinking a blue (or silver or black) powdercoated engine bay with a nice silver/blue/chrome/black engine would look sweet. What your opinion on this?

Not to be a copycat, but I think that a powdercoated blue engine,polished valve cover,custom chromed intake manifold, blue powdercoated pulleys,blue silicon hoses, braided stainless lines, stainless steel I/C piping with blue connecting hoses, silver turbos (duh there always silver stock), and aluminum head (P90a), alum radiator, and alum I/C would look sweet. Makes me drool just thinking about it. What do you think?

Guest DiZeased_240

I would say powder coating would not be ideal for the engine bay just due to the prep work involved. It's a much different process than prepping for paint and (correct me if I am wrong) but the entire surface to be coated must be bare metal(no filler). If this were in any way a show piece then the body work would need to be impeccable. Of course if I were doing a show piece I would do base/clear in the bay to match exterior.

Most powdercoated items are reserved for areas that need extreme durability, such as frames, control arms, differentials...etc. As Dead Roman claimed very expensive as well.

I would say powder coating would not be ideal for the engine bay just due to the prep work involved. It's a much different process than prepping for paint and (correct me if I am wrong) but the entire surface to be coated must be bare metal(no filler). If this were in any way a show piece then the body work would need to be impeccable. Of course if I were doing a show piece I would do base/clear in the bay to match exterior.

Most powdercoated items are reserved for areas that need extreme durability' date=' such as frames, control arms, differentials...etc. As Dead Roman claimed very expensive as well.[/quote']

tehy make hiugh heat body fillers now, but they are far from perfect and decrease the durability of the powder. Powder can look just as good as paint, and can be shot in just as many colors. I have done flames on hoods and many other graphics, as far as i know im the only powdercoater who has tried this. DIZ is right though, for the most part whatever surface you are coating must be 100 percent perfect, and the prep work for a given part is very intensive. I currently am painting a volkswageen beetle a blue color called blue ribbon. Ive been sandblasting the body for atleast and hour a day for the past three weeks. That should give you a good idea of what would go into painting the engine bay of your car. If there was any type of grease and or/ paint residue ANYWHERE on the car the fumes created by being in the oven have the potential to ruin the powder druing the curing process. I presonally pln to powdercoat my entire z car, but im going to use the powder as a primer(ther is NO BETTER PRIMER than powdercoating) not a the finish surface. If I were you i would stick with some type of high durability spray paint or sometype of rhino liner typ product. But if you want the body panels painted, send em my way as powder makes and IMPECCABLE base for any type of paint and wil surely add durability to any finish you choose.

*This commercial brought to you by the lovely folks at Craftmasters Powdercoating. If we paint it it wont suck !! GUARANTEED*

I'll keep you in mind when it (someday) comes time for painting and such. DeadRoman, where are you located out of curiosity? (please not the east coast :( ) I'm in Nevada. Long way from painting ( a really long way). Except for my minature concept model of my Z's future :D (about 1/18th scale about a foot long and ~6 inches wide).

I'll keep you in mind when it (someday) comes time for painting and such. DeadRoman, where are you located out of curiosity? (please not the east coast :( ) I'm in Nevada. Long way from painting ( a really long way). Except for my minature concept model of my Z's future :D (about 1/18th scale about a foot long and ~6 inches wide).

the company is located in Mexia Texas.