HybridZ

Turbo Conversion .. '78 280Z.. N47 stock block and head....

I have been extremely interested in a turbo conversion for my 1978 280Z.

I have been searching around for a few years now on this site...

and I understand it's better to just swap in a 280ZXT engine into my car..

but my engine is running VERY strong and has only 100,000 miles on it.

I would trust my engine ALOT more than a junkyard one, and i figured would be cheaper.

But I am gathering a list of stuff that I need:

( i just need help to see if I miss anything)

Turbo Exhuast Manifold

Turbocharger and Wastegate

Oil Lines

Vacuum thinngy (what is the vacuum thing I need? what is it called?)

Turbo Injectors

Intercooler

Intercooler Piping

Downpipe

Turbo AFM

60mm TB

Now I understand I will have to tap into my stock oil pan, or get a turbo oil pan.

I hope to use a Z31 ECU or just go for MegaSquirt or SDS.

Do I need another oil pump to pump the oil to the turbo?

Am I missing anything else?

I am just in the middle of doing the same thing to my 240z. I already have the fuel injection system on the car and running.

- Motor is a N/A 2.8 litre motor with steel head gasket, Turbo head bolts.

- Fuel injection control is Megasquirt. It has the MAP sensor (vacum thngy) already builtin.

- Stock throttle body, using a TPS from a 91 240SX

- Turbo injectors

- Clutch is 2+2 with kevlar disc and increased pressure on pressure plate

- Ignition system is Crane HI6 with timing retard control ( I think this is what you are missing on your list. An ignition system that can retard the timing as boost increases)

- Oil pump is from Turbo motor

- Fuel pump is Walbro 255 ltr/hr

- Pressure regulator is Aeromotive

-Stock turbo exhaust manifold

- 300zx T28 turbo ( single turbo car type with water and oil cooling)

I know that I am going to have to keep the boost down and feed lots of fuel to the motor. I am trying to gain more torque in the car rather top end HP.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

I have a 77 280z with the stock motor in it, with only 42,000 on it. I also have been looking into converting it to turbo because it would be a shame to stop using such a reliable low mileage engine. One thing that no one has mentioned so far on this subject is changing the stock pistons. I've heard that without dish pistons, the compression will be too high and you won't be able to run as much boost. Any thoughts?

Im going to run flat top pistions on my p90 and with a bit of work am looking to get a CR of 8.5:1. I think if you can control your fuel and spark you will have no problems mating a turbo to the NA head.

Guest bastaad525

there are guys on here running turbos on flat top pistons, and I think some even running it on the higher compression N42 head.

Agreed, spark timing and fuel control will be critical, and ultimately you may be limited to running less boost, but that's relative really. There are guys throwing 20psi + at L28ET motors... with the higher compression it's not like you're suddenly limited to, say, 7psi or something like that. With good fuel and spark control I'm sure you could run boost in the teens on an 8-9:1 CR motor with no problems and you'll have a WAY more responsive motor. I wouldn't even think of sticking with the stock EFI or distributor though, NA *OR* Turbo.