HybridZ

T-5's

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello everyone,

I have found a place that sells t-5's for around 775 plus shipping. It's a place called Phoenix Hard Parts and Remanufactured Transmissions. Has anyone heard of them, and if so what have you heard. Also, does anyone else know of any places that sell a good rebuilt t-5? Thanks for everything.

sean

------------------

"I feel the need, the need for speed!!"

Guest nosz350

IF I HAD TO DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN WITH MY 5.0GT I WOULD HAVE WAITED AND SAVED THE MONEY FOR A TREMIC. ANY POWER OF ALL WITH A GOOD SET OF TIRES AND YOU HAVE A BLOWN UP T-5!!!! I HAVE PIECES IN MY SHOP TO PROVE IT. BOBBY

[This message has been edited by pparaska (edited November 29, 2000).]

Stock T-5's are weak, the World Class T-5 is good to about 330 FT lbs.of torque. If you really want a bullet-proof T-5 good for 450 FT lbs of torque go to: www.5speeds.com/racing/jt5rc.html

but be warned! this puppy will run you about $2700!

Mark

------------------

" Now where did I set my beer? "

[This message has been edited by Z-Dreamer (edited November 28, 2000).]

Guest tom sixbey

i heard somewhere that the straight-cut transmissions dont last long for street use even if you know how to drive one - is that true?

------------------

Tom 6B (73NIC)

"why slam on the brakes when you can slam on the gas?"

Guest Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by nosz350:

IF I HAD TO DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN WITH MY 5.0GT I WOULD HAVE WAITED AND SAVED THE MONEY FOR A TREMIC. ANY POWER OF ALL WITH A GOOD SET OF TIRES AND YOU HAVE A BLOWN UP T-5!!!! I HAVE PIECES IN MY SHOP TO PROVE IT. BOBBY

Now, I do know lots of people who have t-5's and they have nothing wrong with it, but then other do have something wrong with it. Also, tremic doesn't make stuff for chevy's, do they? I thought it was only richardson. I'm not gonna push that much power to it yet, and when I do get there, I'll put something else in. Thanks for the info.

------------------

"I feel the need, the need for speed!!"

[This message has been edited by pparaska (edited November 29, 2000).]

I have a GM form factor Tremec. See my web site for info on two places that convert them.

Please also search this site for the word Tremec (not Tremic). They are reputed to shift very poorly. I haven't tried mine yet, so I have no experience. Just sitting still it shifts o.k.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project - pparaska@home.com">pparaska@home.com -

Guest John Adkins

What's with all this trash talk (brand X sucks, brand Y rules)? Aren't we here to talk about modifying Z cars for the better, not to act immature ? Are we in danger of becoming like zcar.com?

[This message has been edited by John Adkins (edited November 29, 2000).]

Welll..... I pushed 450hp through a bone stock 88 T5 in a Mustang for over a year. One day I really abused it, next day 3rd went. Bought a Tremec, shifts terrible even after a rebuild. I skipped straight to the T56 for this drivetrain.

T5 shifts sweet. Switch to a Tremec and good luck powershifting 3rd - I could never do it. If you run a T5 just be aware that it can and will blow if abused too badly. Mine survived several trips to the track on good tires but I did take decent care of it. In a strong running car it wouldn't be my first choice but if it's what's in your budget by all means go for it - just realize it's limitations. Sometimes it's better to spend more and skip the downtime if you're going to abuse it enough to blow it...