HybridZ

L28ET swap answers needed!

CasperIV

Ok, I'm starting from ground one here. Yes, I searched, but I want a live disscussion on these questions. I have been plotting and planning on doing an L28ET swap on my 1971 240Z. The problem is finding an engine near me, and what all will be involved in the swap. I just need some definitive answers from you guys on these questions, so I can know what to expect.

Does the L28ET bolt into a 240Z on the stock mounts?

Will the drive line match up and handle the new engine/tranny? (I currently have a 5 speed in the car, but I don't know what it was out of)

Will the stock 240Z rear end handle to new engine long enough for me to find an LSD?

Other then the engine (And all parts associated there with), the wiring harness, and the ECU, what else do I need? (The car currently has an electric fuel pump, but it was on it when I got it and don't know if it is 2 stage or not).

Answers would be great, I just keep getting contradictions from people I talk to, and you guys are the most informed on these swaps.

if you keep the current tranny in the 240z then you can bolt in the turbo engine and it bolts right up(motor mounts, bellhousing). Use the clutch and flywheel from the 240z engine. The only time you get into problems with a mount not lining up it is with the borg warner 5 speed transmission from the turbo cars.

I did this, my 73 240z had the 4 speed manual, R180 rear end, 240 engine (all stock components) and I put in the turbo engine only and re-used the 4 speed tranny, 240 clutch/flywheel and R180 stock rear end. Direct bolt in swap.

Then gradually I swapped in an R200 rear end, borg warner 5 spd tranny and trubo flywheel/clutch.

Stock 240z rear end should hold up for a bit with the stock turbo engine, unless its on its last leg right now (who knows without inspecting it). Mine did.

I *think* that the 5 speed in the car right now is either an early 280Z tranny or out of a 260Z. It's bolted up to my stock engine, and I don't see any mods to the housing. As soon as I have time I'll pull everything and take a look.

If I drop an L28ET, on the 5 speed I have now, with the car in stock form (Mines lighter then stock, but this way I can compensate for error), and only simple mods of a BOV and Boost Controller, what can the car run before it will have issues? I'm curious about what times you guys would guess, as well as how much boost I can give before forged pistons, headgaskets, and an intercooler need to be ordered.

The 5-speed was not an option untill 1977, so your 5-speed is from either a 280Z or 280ZX.

The forged pistons are not required untill about 350hp or more. Even then, its only optional if you want to have them handle some detonation.

Keep the boost stock (7-8psi) with your rearend and driveshaft. About 200lbs of torque.

Anything above 10psi is recomended to get an intercooler. Once you're up to 18+psi with a larger turbo, then you can starting looking for forged pistons if you go that far with the engine build.