HybridZ

clutch stuck to flywheel

Guest RWilliKiwi

Guest RWilliKiwi

Hi, I just picked up a 1978 280z in Houston and am flying down to pick it up. It's been in storage for 10yrs and it sounds like the clutch has bonded to the flywheel. Owner has tried to brake it free by push starting and driving around the block without success. I'm not sure how aggressive he was. Any suggestions? I am taking tools to drop tranny on the side of the road if I have to. Went to order new clutch and I find out the 280z lists 2 different sizes. What's that about?

I'm not new to Z's I own a 5 speed the same yr. but I need help with this.

Thanks

Ross

Probably just lost all the clutch hydraulic fluid. You might need new master/slave cylinders and possibly the rubber line. But having all the internals rusted together is not too unbelievable either.

If that thing has been sitting for 10 years I would bring a trailer and not a tool box. Brave man.

Guest RWilliKiwi

The car was stored inside with battery charger connected so it could be started at regular intervals but they should have taken it around the block a few times.

The problem was never discovered untill they tried to put it in gear to move it. They replaced the clutch slave, master, and lines although they may not have bleed the system very well and this may be the problem.

I have been told that the clutch sticking to the flywheel is not uncommon on the Zs when they are left sitting.

Thanks for your help.

Ross