HybridZ

control box

580z

I have a '72, and I am wondering what is controlled by the gold box near the drivers left knee? It is bolted to the side of the car, not the dash. It has 3 wires connected to it. Something is wrong with mine, but I can't figure out what it controls. If I have the power wire hooked up, it just gets really, really hot. This leads me to belive there is a short, but I don't know what system to check.

Any thoughts?

I don't belive it does, but I will check during the day.

I do know that it is a relay of some kind, you can hear it click as power is added/removed, but why would just the box get hot, and not the wires if there is a short?

When I say hot, I mean painful, crazy hot. But the wires don't even get warm. It makes no sense to me, even if the relay was bad, then there would be heat transfer into the wires, there should be transfer right now.

This one has me worried, I don't want some kind of electrical fire/accident.

I am contemplating a full rewire of the car, I have done that sort of thing before, but I am not sure what is necessary to keep datsun so every thing still works.

Thanks

Tyler

Guest Zachb55

well, if your horn doesnt work with it connected, and nothing seems to not work with it disconnected, then leave it disconnected, thats your best bet, if you want your horn then it is probably that relay which is faulty.

-Zach

well, the horn doesn't work, but I think I am just going to rewire the whole car. It would solve some other issues I believe, plus I would then know the electrical system like the back of my hand.

thanks

for your time and help

tyler