HybridZ

Need to select Engine and Transmission

I’ve been dismantling and cleaning up my 73 240Z and here’s how it looks now.

041031z.JPG

I haven’t been able to decide on the specific engine and transmission combo I want to install, but I ‘m currently thinking old school carbureted 350 V8 with a World Class T5 5-speed manual. Although I like the weight and stock performance of the LS1 T56 combo, it’s a lot of work, money, and it’s a whole different look. A Z is a ‘sports car’, and to me ‘sports cars’ have to be manual; so it’s either a T5 or T56. The T5 seems to be lighter and cheaper; so I think it’s the way I will go. What do you guys think?

If anyone has a lead on a good engine and/or transmission for my swap let me know. I'm also looking at getting the conversion kit from Stealth Conversions.

Welcome to the board.

Definitely get the manual from Stealth conversions if you don't already have it. As for the parts, you can fab them on your own if you want to as measured drawings for everything are included in the book.

Have you considered an LT1? They are much cheaper than the LS1 but have the Multi-Port injection and modern design. They are also compatible with the kit from JTR (Stealth Conversions) and pretty well documented on here and in other places. Just a thought.

Wheelman

Definitely get the manual from Stealth conversions if you don't already have it. As for the parts, you can fab them on your own if you want to as measured drawings for everything are included in the book.

Have you considered an LT1? They are much cheaper than the LS1 but have the Multi-Port injection and modern design. They are also compatible with the kit from JTR (Stealth Conversions) and pretty well documented on here and in other places. Just a thought.

I have the JTR datsun conversion manual as well as the TPI & TBI Swapping manual and yes I've considered doing an LT1 conversion. I've also considered a 305/T5 combo since you can find these combo's in 83-92 f-bodies. If I can find a good setup these are still possibilites.

I love my tpi/T5. Gobs of torque and looks cool when you pop the hood. :burnout:

But I'd have to recommend the LT1. More power and more potential. Reasonably priced JY examples are still out there. Lighter in F-body trim due to aluminum heads. Bolts up with the standard JTR kit and no hood latch mod required. T5 or T56 will bolt right up. If you go T5 you had better beef it up though, to handle the power.

Only downside is the high price of getting the A/C compressor to mount in the right spot to fit in the S30.

If you go LT1, '95 is the prefered year. Last year of the OBDI ECM and first year of the upgraded opti-spark.

LT1.jpg

I ‘m currently thinking old school carbureted 350 V8 with a World Class T5 5-speed manual.

I would recommend a fuel injected engine if you can handle the technology and cost. However, the above combo can probably be done easier and cheaper. My "Old School" Street Legal 72 Z ran low 11's in the quarter mile, before I added the turbos. That's with a 383 Chevy, TH400 trans and a 750 carb.

Since you don't live too far from me you might just see my Z cruising down the street. My engine is quiet but you can hear the Blow-Off-Valve from my turbos a mile away.

Hanns

Since you don't live too far from me you might just see my Z cruising down the street. My engine is quiet but you can hear the Blow-Off-Valve from my turbos a mile away.

I'd love to see your car sometime, I live in Horsethief Canyon Ranch so we're pretty close.

Thanks everyone for your comments and advice. It looks like I'll be scoring an LT1 T56 combination. :D

I've got new urethane bushings, toyota brake calipers, new strut cartridges, new springs, new ball joints, new tie rod ends, all on order to prepare for the upcoming horsepower. I'll post pic's after I paint the engine compartment and install all the new components.