HybridZ

turbo questions

Guest grom111

Guest grom111

what kind of manifolds are u guys using plus i want to know what kind of fuel programs most people use

is it worth going turbo or going v8

i have a 77 280z

are the turbo set up from 280zx compatible

thank you for any help

well what do u want to do with the car, drag race, track , street, weekend car, what, u want auto or 5 spd.

if u want drag got for a v8, if u want anything with curves and dont wanna spend alot of money go with turbo.

u can do a v8 track car but its more money.

u can use a 1981-1983 280zx turbo engine, and most of the stuff bolts in. u just gotta do fuel and exst.

Almost everyone uses the factory ZX turbo intake and exhaust manifold. Some use the 1975-76 280Z non-California intake manifold. It has fewer connections and no webbing between intake runners. That is mostly for cosmetic reasons. Neither flow any better than the other.

Only a couple people have invested in custom exhaust manifolds for turbos.

Because the majority of people runs 300hp or less, the factory fuel injection works fine. Some runs Megasquirt or other more expensive fuel management systems. The 280ZX turbo distributor is controlled by the computer so if you change to an aftermarket computer you will also have to figure out how to control the ignition.

I haven't decided weather or not to go with a custom manifodl for a t4, or just keep the t3 exhaust housing and go with that. Either way, making more then 300whp it would be a good idea to at least use an external gate. Which would require modification of the stock manifold. Although.. I prolly wont. :D

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

On the fuel injection, I guess I can say I'm the residant standalone fuel injection guy. I like the Microtech EFI on the L28's and if you want to make a honest 300hp+ on a daily driver I recomend going that route. As for a SBC, thats the best swap in my opinon. If you dont put a small block that makes 400 or more its not worth the trouble. Keep it a L28 on boost for that. Good luck and welcome.