HybridZ

Happy with an Rb20?

DeusEx

OK as you guys probably know i have explored many options for my motor swap from 1JZ to 2JZ GTE and as far as i have found the RB20 seems to be good on the wallet for what i will get.

I have read heaps of frorums from people putting in RBs but none saying if they were happy or not.

So i was wondering if some people who have done the RB20 conversion could tell me if they were happy with the swap.

Thanks

Guest jjohnson

Should have the engine in by the end of the week, and on the road within 3 weeks.. I'm excited.. and I'm sure I will be happy with it, but can giveyou some feedback in the near future :P

For costs, for me : engine package with g/box etc. 40,000 kms ($1750)

Intercooler 600x400 $600 fitted for Z

wolf 3d ver. 4 $1440

miscellaenous parts: surge tank, fuel lines, pumps, new cambelt etc.. $1400

radiator $150

i/c piping = $600? havn't done yet

2 1/2 inch mandrel w/ custom dump = $800? not sure as yet

Can't wait

hey im in the same delima as you, the money is there to do a Rb20det conversion... but will i be happy with the power, ive driven a R32 with Rb20det etc, and felt well, i've also been in a Rb20det 260, but was a long time ago and not sure how it was... id say wit 160kw stock, with a exhaust, and 14psi, you would be pretty happy with that... as i think i will be

What part are you unsure of, if you were unhappy with the amount of power etc, or the way the engine drives/feels etc...

as with the lag question with the Rb20s, as they are a 2ltr 6 you needa rev it to get a bit of boost, so with a HKS Bb 2530 turbo, you won't have as much problems, they are around 2k installed, so its not that much once you have gotten bored of the original turbo

I'm running a stock RB20DET with a 600x230 FMIC and the boost jumped to 13psi without touching anything else. Unless the fuel tank is mostly full, it tends to light the wheels up in 1'st/2'nd on anything less than a really good road surface. Goes hard, keeps the 255Kw Clubsport and XR6T's honest, and quite frankly seems to go harder than my friends R34 GTR... although getting the Z to launch well is pretty tricky.

The only downside is that it doesn't seem to like 96 RON octane fuel - It detonated on me the other day, so back to the 98 RON and poor idle quality....

Guest mrdatto

Any of you guys have an idea of what sort of 1/4 mile time you would get from a fairly standard rb20 swap as compared to an rb25.

It's kinda hard to decide if the extra $2500 or so is worth it.

well stock rb25det is 185kw flywheel, with HKS turbo, cooler and exhaust, you can get over 210-240rrwkw, with stock computer and stock injectors,

with the same mods on a rb20, you just be able to get to 200rwkw, of which is very very potent in a early Z anyway, the reason nissan went from 2ltrs to 2.5ltrs was because of with the rb20 off boost theres no power as with the 2.5 ltr theres more power off boost with the extra cc

as with quater mile, can see it being huge differance... reall matters what tune you are running, but its easy low 14s high 13s in either setup,

Should have the engine in by the end of the week, and on the road within 3 weeks.. I'm excited.. and I'm sure I will be happy with it, but can giveyou some feedback in the near future :P

I've got an RB20 in my Z which is in a slightly sad state atm.. lol

but it's buckets of fun.. I've loved it

It's a red top ECCS rb20 from a GTS-X in my car.. should be replaced by a silvertop ECCS rb20 from an R32 by the end of the month now.. just gotta find a new engine that im happy with.

However I'd be careful with putting a wolf3D on it. My friend and other people on SAU have experienced coil pack dramas with the wolf.. I had some too on my autronic, had to get an ignition module for it to handle the dwell that RB coils use.. Not sure if there's something similar which you can get for the wolf.

and it becomes VERY costly when you start blowing coilpacks :

well stock rb25det is 185kw flywheel' date=' with HKS turbo, cooler and exhaust, you can get over 210-240rrwkw, with stock computer and stock injectors,

with the same mods on a rb20, you just be able to get to 200rwkw, of which is very very potent in a early Z anyway, the reason nissan went from 2ltrs to 2.5ltrs was because of with the rb20 off boost theres no power as with the 2.5 ltr theres more power off boost with the extra cc

as with quater mile, can see it being huge differance... reall matters what tune you are running, but its easy low 14s high 13s in either setup,[/quote']

Not too sure about that. The stock RB25DET computer supposedly won't handle more than about 10psi without detonating. The figures I've seen quoted say that you can make it to around 180-190Kw at the wheels before changing the computer. The RB20DET computer can be remapped, and a couple of people have got a reliable 225Kw at the wheels without going aftermarket...

ive seen a rb25det with stock compuer on a dyno running 14psi , with a GTR fuel pump and a nismo fuel regulator, maybe this helped running the higher PSI for it not the detonate, but it couldn;t go anywhere more than 14psi as it was runnin around 90% injector efficiency. which did a 233rwkw, with a decent HKS turbo i forget the exact specs... so id say it can be done with a bit of messing around, and maybe not that great reliability,

but as i've been thinking, its better to go to Rb20det, that are only 2k, rather a Rb25det that sell for 3.5-4k, when if you going for outright power, better of going a Rb26dett, wich are another 2k more, but you'll get an extra 40 or so Kw, in the first place and have a better base.

which will handle high power in the first place, other than having to change internals for a reliable power output ot of a the 25det...

whats others opinions

nat, you're getting ripped if you're seeing RB20s for 2k

you should be able to score a fully dressed engine and gearbox for 1k

as for power figures.. decide how much power you want to make and what sort of a powerband your style of driving would need or could compromise with.. then choose the engine which will for the cheapest amount fit your needs.

with the 20 you're never going to have as much low down grunt as you will with the 25 or 26 but with the right setup it can still be quite the weapon.

if you're looking for 200rwkw.. go the rb20 and get a hks gt2530.. lag wont be as big an issue and you'll have bucketloads of midrange to play with

if you're going an engine swap, stock ecu limitations shouldn't be an issue, go aftermarket FO SHO

ps: john kosmatka, cheers ^_^

ive seen a rb25det with stock compuer on a dyno running 14psi ' date=' with a GTR fuel pump and a nismo fuel regulator, maybe this helped running the higher PSI for it not the detonate, but it couldn;t go anywhere more than 14psi as it was runnin around 90% injector efficiency. which did a 233rwkw, with a decent HKS turbo i forget the exact specs... so id say it can be done with a bit of messing around, and maybe not that great reliability,

but as i've been thinking, its better to go to Rb20det, that are only 2k, rather a Rb25det that sell for 3.5-4k, when if you going for outright power, better of going a Rb26dett, wich are another 2k more, but you'll get an extra 40 or so Kw, in the first place and have a better base.

which will handle high power in the first place, other than having to change internals for a reliable power output ot of a the 25det...

whats others opinions[/quote']

What series engine was this? I know that the 'early' RB25 computers are a lot worse than the later ones... but none of the tuners quoted in a mag article wanted to increase the boost beyone 10psi. I would expect the last Neo series would be pretty good to tune up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...