HybridZ

New track times! Hell yeah!

Thumper

Well I just got back from Houston Raceway and to say the least i'm quite pleased. My last best time was a:

60ft 2.056

1/4 13.603

mph 101.2

"UPDATE!!!. MY NEW BEST TIME!!!:-D "

I have removed 50lbs (it weighed in at 2574 without me in it and 2730 with me in it), cut off exhaust, and put boost up too 11psi (no pinging :twisted: ). This time my best was a ....

365383_16_full.jpg

My mph was 103.13. I finally got my 60' time where I wanted it. I had to learn how to slip the clutch just right. So far I have put a total of $1600.00 into this setup including the car. Within the next week I will be removing engine getting it ready to be put in my 240z. I can not wait for it to be in the lighter car, and with more power. 12's here I come :twisted:

Thanks. I can't believe how fast it is. Yeah those are my only mods. I was running 11psi, 27º timing, 32 psi fuel at idle with vacuum connected, .045 spark plug gap, and the exhaust was cut-off right after the stock downpipe. I am running 225/60r15 bfgoodrich g-force sports on the stock turbo rims. Don't forget that the car is completly stripped. The only things left to remove are the bumpers and then replacing stuff with lighter things.

Guest bastaad525

well not to be a downer but just going into a 240 wont necessarily guarantee you 12's.

I only say this because, since your ZX is already so light, the benefit of the 240 will be kind of diminished. My '72 240 with the turbo drivetrain weighs in right about 2400lbs, so you're looking at 'only' losing about 200lbs, vs. say if you're ZX were stock and going to a 240 would mean more like 600lbs of difference. Figure about .1 for each 100lbs... and you are right at the door of 12's but not necessarily getting in.

It bears mentioning my 240 is 'semi stripped' as well, missing quite a bit of interior, almost no weather stripping, no rear bumper... probably about 50-60lbs lower than if everything was there, but I gained much of that back with the I/C and little bits like the FMU.

I don't think anyone here has made it into 12's on a 240z Turbo w/o the benefit of an I/C, more fuel, and at least low teens of boost.

Damn but a 13.2 on a ZX is VERY impressive... maybe I'm wrong here :D

Your right bastaad525. I am planning to put an intercooler on and rebuild the head when I put the engine into the other car. I will also install my 370cc injectors and a walbro fuel pump. So I should have an extra 20-30hp from going from 11psi to 14-15psi. Actually the time i'm most proud of is the 60ft. Its my first sub 2.0 with street tires :twisted: So no more work on the zx I must only work on z :cry: Lots of rust removal, metal work, and other oh so fun jobs.

Guest bastaad525

regarding the traction problems... I agree...

Something about the ZX, the way it squats, the things we hate about 280ZX rear ends on the street, makes them easier to launch at the dragstrip... but I find on my 240, even with a heck of a lot of twist to the wheels when boost hits (300ft lbs at 3200rpm), on crappy $25 all weather specials from Just Tires, I dont seem to have a problem with traction... but then... I'm not getting timed on my 60 foots when I'm just taking off from stop lights, so I dunno if I'm doing good or bad.

At any rate, 12's are pretty much guaranteed to you with the upgrades your planning.