HybridZ

Strange problems

Disclaimer: I did not build this engine initially, so I'm trying to figure out problems as I find them.

Okay, my SBC was making intermittent clacking noises, which I had no clue what they were. I had also been having issues with oil pressure dropping off for no good reason. So I pulled off the oil pan and checked the rods/mains/all bolts were torqued properly. I noticed while I was down there that the pickup had come off the oil pump. I had a brand new Melling high volume/high pressure oil pump sitting around, so I went ahead and put that in and assumed that had been the noise I was hearing.

Well, I started it back up and the same noise was there. So I then moved on to assume that it was a siezed lifter, and since I had been planning to cam my Z anyway, I pulled the old stuff out and dropped in a 282/288 cam a buddy of mine sold me after putting 2500 miles on it.

Started the engine (GOOD GOD THE WORLD IS COMING TO AN END!) That cam sounds gooooooood. But now my oil pressure is sitting at either 0 or 60 PSI, and no oil is coming through the pushrods.

I began the process of adjusting the lifters (back out until it clicks, tighten until it stops, tighten 1/4 turn) and oil began coming out of one of the pushrods (cool). However, I glanced in the car real quick and noticed the oil pressure was 0, so I quit for the night, to go back later with a friend to watch the gauges.

Does the SBC have an oil bypass? Would a clogged filter cause the 0 psi oil pressure problem? I'm going to get a filter tomorrow, just because it's easy and might solve some problem.

Advice please? What should I be looking for?

Thanks,

TJ

All problems fixed in under 2 hours. :)

This is an informational post for people with any of my problems.

Oil pressure senders do not like RTV. :) I was thinking "This engine is running damn well to have 0 oil pressure, so I unscrewed the oil pressure sender and lo and behold, pulled a string of RTV about 2 inches long out of it.

Started my baby back up, pressure normal again. :D

Next issue: pushrods. VERY easy to do with two people. I backed it out til it clicked BAD (only way oil would come out), then tightened it (with a friend standing with one ear on the end of a pipe and the other end of the pipe at the pushrod/rocker joint) until the clicking stopped, then gave it 1/4 more turn. I did this for each one and they now all properly lubricate themselves and the engine sounds SO much meaner. :)

Everything working great. :) Yay!