HybridZ

BAE old school

caen fred

I think I am one of the only people still running one of these BAE / Rayjay setups. They can be made to work very well under the right conditions but they have lots of limitations.

The turbo supplied in the BAE kits that I have seen is a 301?EE80. It is very large and takes just this side of forever to spool up. If you design your engine and drivetrain around this it can be made to work well. I was told that an F exhaust wheel would help the spool up time but never tried it.

There are still a few of these systems around and they are worth almost nothing so it could be a great budget build up.

Are you using this for a track car?? or daily driver?? or what??

I could take pics of my engine bay but I don't think it would help you. The only part of the BAE kit I used was the turbo and BOV. Everything else has been swapped in from many other years and models of Z's - poor mans performance parts!! I also custom made some of the intake and exhaust plumbing.

In fact, picts could be useful as I don't have anything but the parts... and would like to save time on the guess and try...

One question is about the lubing... the return oil is going back to the oil pan? Right? I dislike the idea of drilling the pan, may I use my oil cooler as a return point? That would save me a lot of swet...

Fred

Definatley don't try to return the oil to the cooler as the return line is not under pressure. The oil from the turbo is very hot and foamy and requires a large diamater pipe to return to the oil pan. This pipe should be as vertical as possible with as few bends as possible.

Do you have access to any 280zx turbos to view the piping etc? Their pans are already drilled for oil drainback and should interchange with yours if you switch the pickup as well.

I can't fiqure out how to post the pics here so I will email them to you later - hope they help.

Those old BAE kits were cool ! In fact ,for some reason I have the cast aluminum "J" pipe for the Z car BAE piping (non IC) .It's a nice piece with "BAE" lettering cast into it. If anyone is trying to be authentic and wants it I'll sell it for 40.00$ (US) plus shipping. It comes with 2 original orange conectors and clamps too !

...............Vince 8)

• 2 weeks later...

I need a few bits before I bolt the kit on "Blues bother" :lol:

I need the boost switch, the one that raise the fuel by tricking the cold switch. Where can I find one? Or an other alternative?

Do I need to use ZX Turbo injectors?

What is the Ø of the oil line going from the oil sender to the turbo, how long do I need?

I need to find the turbo "blanket" a place to find it ???

Merci, Fred :P