HybridZ

Cross Country trip!Help!

Guest RON JONES

Guest RON JONES

I'm flying out to Cali on Thursday to pick up My Motorhome.On the ride home,Do I go RT80?Or should I play it safe and take the longer southern RT40?I don't want to get stuck in a blizzard,but I also need to get home ASAP.What to do????????

Might want to check the websites for the Dept of Transportation in each state you'll be going thru--I did that when I moved cross country, just to see what road conditions were like--If you got AAA, they can crank out a "triptik" in a short time that highlights bad areas too.

Another thing to keep in mind is bypassing major cities--if you take the 40, for instance, you can save much heartache and traffic by taking the 440 around nashville instead of plowing straight thru--adds a few miles, but much easier in the long run.

Biggest problem I've run into going northern routes is inevitably you get stuck in an area where they require chains--not bad if you're prepared-but have you ever tried to find chains for a U-Haul truck in the middle of BFE? Good luck

FWIW, I live right on the I-40 here in TN, and it's nice and clear--no storms lately or expected.

Good luck on your trip--hope it goes smoothly for you