HybridZ

Can't figure this one out, 88 302 efi problems

Guest zigzac

On top of my 75 280Z, I own an 88 ford bronco(fullsized) with an EFI 302. About two weeks ago it started to not idle well, and now it will not run at all. It starts just fine, and runs for about 30 seconds just perfectly. Then the engine revs go down and up and down and up and then it dies and then it won't stay running anymore. I've replaced the plugs, wires, cap and rotor, put a couple of bottles of drygas in the fuel, taken the idle bypass solenoid off, cleaned it, and checked it as described in my haynes manual and it seems to be fine, I seem to have good vacuum and I've checked for any leaks or missing vacuum caps or lines, and nothing has helped my problem. I would really appreciate any advice as to what to check next.

I have looked everywhere for the stupid port to read the codes, and I am not 100% sure but I can't seem to find one anywhere on the truck. Most likely a previous owner hacked it off as there is a good bit hack and slash done on the truck by the PO. I would love to be able to get a code from the ecu, does anyone know of a way to splice into the wires at the ecu connector to make the check engine light flash the codes?

Please someone help? Thank you very much.

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

Those engines have a common problem with the fuel pressur eregulator, so check the fuel pressure. They also have problems with the ignition control module, but I'm betting on the FPR.