HybridZ

anyone ever change a pathfinder engine?

GrayZee

I'm taking out the Vg30 from my 87 Pathfinder and replacing it with a Vg30et from a 84zxt. I didn't get far before running into my first problem (minor one but would like some advise anyway) I decided to pull the engine without the tranny because I didn't want to have to disconnect the driveshafts and manuver everything out. Here's the problem.. In order for the engine to separate from the trans the engine has to move forward far enough to clear the input shaft from the clutch assembly. However there is no room because the oil pan hits the front diff right away! I did manage to get the engine out by gaining enough clearance to remove the pressure-plate bolts. and let the clutch assembly fall back. That was fine for removing the engine, but that will never work for installing it. What is considered the proper way to accomplish this? I'm thinking I'll have to drop the front diff.. Anyone have any better ideas?

personally i would drop the transmission before i dropped the front diff. you've already got the hard part done (unbolting it from the engine). it really shouldn't take more than about 30 minutes to get th transmission to a place where you can get the motor in place.

my .02

I think you'll have to modify the frame on the turbo side.. IIRC, there will be interfearance with the turbo/exhast routing.. it's been done though.. I'll have to look around, but I'm sure I saw a post on a 4x4 site I'm on about a turbo swap into a truck. (mechanicaly, they're prety much the same as a pathey from the firewal forward)

I think you'll have to modify the frame on the turbo side.. IIRC, there will be interfearance with the turbo/exhast routing.. it's been done though.. I'll have to look around, but I'm sure I saw a post on a 4x4 site I'm on about a turbo swap into a truck. (mechanicaly, they're prety much the same as a pathey from the firewal forward)

I'm using a custom exhaust manifold with the turbo mounted up front so there will not be any clearance issues. As far as I know it's been done but never finished, a member on here did it but it isn't running yet. If you know of any that have been done please let me know. As for how to remove and install the engine I had a look at a service manual. It says to leave the tranny in place and drop the front diff out the way.

the only real way to remove/install the vg30 on a 4x4 pathfinder is to remove the front diff. done it a dozen times at work. they're really not that hard to remove. :roll: sorry for the bad news.