HybridZ

Detonation=who sells an adjustable fuel pressure reg for Z?

Guest jjohart

Guest jjohart

Hi

I"m having engine knock with psi from 12 to 15psi on my 83 280ZXT with NPR I/C and Greddy Profec B. My local shop doesn't have a list of what I need for putting on an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

Will this likely stop my knock, if indeed it is from the car running too lean, and if so, what brand and who sells them, and what fittings to make this a plug and play set up?

Thanks

John

Guest bastaad525

If you're running bone stock fuel with 12-15psi with an I/C yes you are running WAY lean.

You can get one of these:

http://www.overboost.com/obs/product.asp?pid=2628&cat_id=13&cat_name=Engine%20Management&sc_id=&sc_name=

for about $60 with shipping. Or you can get a much more expensive Aeromotive or other brand unit for like 2-3x as much... as far as I can tell they all function the same. Installation would be very easy, probably take no more than 2 hours. Just bypass the stock FPR, mount this one somewhere, and run your fuel return line thru it. Oh, you will want to add an inline pressure gauge as well, so you can see as your adjusting.

If you up the base pressure (pressure at idle with no vacuum reference) to about 50-55psi that should be good to support 12psi of boost. However, you may need to fiddle with the AFM a bit, as you will be richening up the fuel across the entire rev range if you go this route, meaning you will also run richer off boost.

Though not the perfect solution either, you could also go with a rising rate FPR, I use one as well as a couple other guys on here, and we're pretty happy with them. They only raise the fuel pressure on boost (so regular driveability stays unaffected), and are more than capable of providing enough fuel for even 15psi. They're a bit more pricey though, $200-250. Just as easy to install as the unit I listed above, and just as easy if not easier to tune. It also comes with everything you need to install it, fittings and what not. I got mine from:

http://www.bellengineering.net/ but I think Motorsport Auto carries the exact same thing for cheaper.