HybridZ

4spd vs. 5spd

olie05

Ok, I just thought about this cus I took a 5 speed back to the junkyard for the core charge and I have a 4 speed sitting in my garage...

I know trannys have a constant mesh on the gears, (or at least i think thats how they work) so does it make sense that a 4 speed has less gears to spin therefore less rotating mass? Also you have the gears creating drag through the gear oil... Fewer gears= less drag? Obviously theres a reason why the bennifits of 5spd outweigh the extra spinning gear since they are more common, but am i thinking correct in my weight and drag theories?

-Oliver

Yah.. I would think this would only amount to anything in a track/race car, that never got up into 5th.. At that point, the extra gear/bearings/ect would be dead weight, and in a race car it could be an issue.. but a road/street car a 5 speed is the way to go as far as I'm conserned.. And with Z tranys, Id rather have the lower RPM on the highway, and better gear ratios. That 2nd to 3rd "drop out of the power band for a few seconds" in the Z 4 gear SUCKS big time.. :x