HybridZ

Muncie

Guest MistaFosta

Guest MistaFosta

Now, I know everyone here loves the 5 and 6 speeds. But I have a muncie, and I was wondering if anyone here has installed one in a z. Is there any problems with the shifter mounting, cutting, ect. Any info would be great.

And Yes, i will do a t56 eventually, but Im just a broke mechanic right now.

---------------

V-tec This

Fosta

Uses a rod linkage right? I think at least one of us has a 3speed truck trans in their car that might use a similiar linkage. I'd think that the linkage and tunnel interferance will be your biggest issue. I'd also check the length to make sure that it actually comes up someplace close to the stock shifter hole!

If you're on a budget - I'd seriously look into a T5 instead. Aside from th eoverdrive you'll have no problems with shift linkage and not have to do funky stuff to get a clutch linkage in. There's hydraulic stuff available for the T5 and T56 which is what most of us are using. You CAN use a hydraulic TO bearing with the Muncie but I've got no idea how far that will drive costs upwards. Heck, lot's of people don't like T5s because they're thought of as fragile especially in cars heavier than ours - you might be able to work a trade with that Muncie...

I've seen the Muncie in a V8 Z with the JTR setback, but that was ten years ago (car had a GTO 250 body kit as well).

I remember the guy had to use straight shifter linkage that was somewhat custom. He had to move the shifter back past the end of the tail shaft to get the shifter into the middle of the stock 280Z shifter hole. Somebody here has a Muncie in theri car, can't remember who.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages