HybridZ

HEI Dizzy and condensor

Guest tony78_280z

Guest tony78_280z

I know this is a double post, but I'm not getting an answer in the Electrical and Ignition section. Sometimes I just don't know where to post. So don't call me a bad kitty. Again. hopefully someone here will answer. Here is my question...

I know some coils require a condensor in it's primary 12v power line. Does an HEI type Dizzy require a condensor somewhere? Or is it built into the dizzy? If it does need one, where? As far as I know I don't have one.

On another note anyone use the MSD system by Jacobs Electronics? I'm thinking of using their setup with my HEI dizzy and a high output coil (BRUTE something or other) from Accel. What appeals to me about Jacobs is their durable and almost indestructive construction. Some on the net brag they are bullet proof.

Thanks

I have been using a Jacobs ignition on by L6 motor with stock points for probably 15 years now. Seems to work fine. Had no problems with it. I have had the same set of points the whole 15 years. I don't notice a big difference between it and the stock ignition, but my engine mods are limited to carbs, headers and ignition. Not too stressing. They also sold some type of amplifier that makes the early 240 style tach work with the HEI type ignitions.

Before that I put one on a worn out, oil burning 69 Camaro. This was probably 1977. It made all the difference in the world on that car. Kept the plugs from oil fouling.

Good company. Don't know if they are any better or worse than MSD.

Guest tony78_280z

Can you get me the part number for that tach dealy? Think it'll work on a 280? MY tach is not calibrated for me v8 motor yet. Sounds like it might be an easy way.

Still no answer about my condensor problem though.

Well like I said I bought it 15 years ago so I don't know if they even make the things anymore. Also there is a difference between the tachs on the old 240's (like mine) and the 280's. I know they have a web site so you may try contacting them directly.

I don't know the answer about the condenser and the HEI.

Guest tony78_280z

Great, thanks for the quick response. No condensor in HEI. I'll be sure to rub that in the face of those fools that told me I had all my stuff hooked up wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...