HybridZ

1973 paint job quote

oatmilk

I live in west los angeles. I just got two quotes for body work on my 1973 240z. The original color of the car is Datsun color code 115. It was repainted in red by the P.O. The car has a scratch like dent on the passenger door ( not deep at all) one ding on the rear tailight panel and one ding on the left corner edge of the hood. Two rust bubbles (2mm in diameter) on the windshield cowl cover, thats it for rust. I love red 240Z's but the P.O replaced the dash with a crack free one and the engine compartment and wheel wheels are still looking good with the original blue metallic paint so I decided to go original. The interior is white ( aka beige or off-white). I need to have that restored as well. Any suggestions for body and interior shops in the los angeles area that take good care of Z cars are welcome. If you have pictures of your car painted in the 115 color code please send them to me at: oatmilk@hotmail.com

Both quotes came within a $200 of each other:

R&I front & rear-$150

Strip paint down to bare metal for cracks and chips-$600

Repair dings & dents ( whole vehicle), remove parts to gain access-$500

Primer and wet sand car complete and paint car complete in BC/CC $1850

Paint door jam, underhood, inside trunk-$295

Color sand & buff complete-$300

Total-Shop#1 $3695, Shop# 2 was $3500. 1-2 months to do the work at both

What do you think? I have seen both shops work and they both are good. One shop will use Dupont and the other PPG. I asked about imported paint systems...Sikkens, Glassurit and so on, and the typical response was they are good but your mostly paying for the name and importing costs.

Thanks for the help in advance,