HybridZ

what do I look for in used root blowers

mobythevan

okiez.... Info looks good and here's a few thoughts.

1. Have a boost guage and fuel pressure guage viewable by the driver.

2. Adj. fuel pressure unit in the engine compartment.

3. MSD BTM unit.

4. Forged steel cranshaft and blower pistons.

5. The heat generated will amaze you so get an aluminum radiator and a TAURUS 2 speed fan.

6. Dyno tune it.

These things certainly benifited my set-up.

Post them pics.

LARRY

Thanks for the advise Cozy Z. I probably failed to mention some the parts in my previous litany. As I mentioned I am running a Holly blue pump with a separate adjustable pressure regulator and pressure gauge at the carbs. I use -8 AN lines to and thru the pump and filter, I use 1/2 inch aluminum hard line to the adj regulator then -6 braided to each carbs. If I have a pressure problem I will run a return line to the fuel cell from the regulator and reroute my fuel lines on the regulator to create a high pressure bypass to insure plenty of carb pressure.

Your advise on the MSD Boost timing is well taken. I had a MSD 6a on my big block mopar and loved it. I'm running the timing advance on the conservative side for now but I will be getting a MSD BTM unit as I can be much more aggressive on the timing in relation to the boost. I will still use the Crane unit to trigger the MSD via the yellow trigger wire so I can keep the small distributor.

I am currently running swap meet forged pistons and with my heads they are low enough compression. They appeared to have a lower top ring land than most so I don't think I'll have any ring collapse issues. Again I am running this at only 15% underdrive. I am still running a cast crank however I figured it should be okay for the 450-500 horse or so. I know that before I make any serious power I will need to change that.( this is kind of a mule motor until I really loose control and build a 400+ ci small block with the blower and big heads etc.

I realized overheating would be an issue with this setup. I had the local shop rebuild my radiator using the stock unit cause I hadn't figured out a way to sneak the aluminum radiator past my wife yet. (I told her I was going to need the garage for only about two weeks about 3 years ago!!) I am using an 14" flex-i-lite fan and I am currently laying up a glass shroud for the radiator and I am using the electric water pump so my coolant is not dependant on engine speed at low rpm. I have also vented the underhood temps via the hood vents I will send pics of.

I hadn't thought too much about a permanent boost gauge in the cockpit. I guess I thought if you had enough time to look at how much boost you were making, you probably weren't making enough!!!

Thanks for the advise and I'll try to get my project pics up soon!!