HybridZ

Paint problems and questions

Metro

Looks like I'm going to have to repaint my Z, not such a bad idea because it was the first time I've painted a car and I've learned a ton in these last few months. Really sucks, but oh well, I like to learn the hard way.

I painted my car back in June and since about November I've noticed that it has "goosebumps". I had wetsanded and buffed it a few months prior, so it's not orange peel or anything like that. It was glassy and smooth before.

Some pics here and here - look in the flash.

My theory is, since I painted it in June when it was very hot and humid, I think there might have been moisture trapped in the paint. I first noticed the bumps after the temperature dipped below 32°, that's why I feel the goosebumps were caused by the moisture freezing and expanding. But when I picked at one of the bumps and it didn't looks like there was anything under it causing it, all I saw was primer.

I've read that something like this can be caused by body filler being painted too soon or being applied too thick. That's not the case for me, because this is occurring in many places where there wasn't any filler used.

This is all probably due to my sloppy prep but I'd like to know for sure. Has this happened to anyone before?

Guest DiZeased_240

I haven't had time to look into your problem but you may be able to find your solution here:

http://www.martinsenour-autopaint.com/refmaterials/refmaterials.html

Go to the bottom of the page and click on troubleshooting guide. It is a pdf that has some great info on paint problems. I don't like Martin Senour paint, but they have good info available.