HybridZ

strange fuel problems

Guest nacoZ

hey guys, I just want to say that this is a great board, Ive been reading for some time now on and off and there is a wealth of information here. That aside, I was wondering if anyone could help. I have a 83 280ZX that wont start. A little history on the car, I had the head rebuilt and it ran fine for quite some time, cant remember how long, and then my dad told me that one day it died on him in traffic and was very hard to restart. I took it out a little later and everything was fine until I stopped to get gas. Got gas and when I went to start the car, it wouldnt start. Towed it home and let it sit for a while. It will start intermittently and blows a lot of smoke out the tail pipe when the fuel pump is connected. If I disconnect the fuel pump, it will still start, and rev, but without the smoke. This is very weird. I check the head temp switch and that seems to be ok - I switched a known good one in there and it didnt change the problem. Then I thought the injectors might be sticking open. I pulled the rail and turned the key to the on position and all six injectors started to spray as if they were wide open. I turned it off and thought I was screwed. Then I turned it back on and they didnt leak at all. All six were closed. I dont know if this is normal, but it seems to me that if the fuel pressure drops below a certain point and I let the fuel pump prime that all the injectors will open until the fuel pump finishes priming. Seems counterintuitive to me. Next issue. If I try and start the car with the rail out, in order to make sure the injectors are opening, nothing happens. No fuel sprays out of any of the injectors during cranking. Is that normal? Only the cold start injector is functional during cranking. Once again, this seems really strange. I have not put 12V across the injectors yet, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas. Thanks for all the help.

Trevor

It really does sound like the cylinder head temp. sensor. It's screwed into the head, below the spark plugs, above the starter and it has two wires. Just cut the wires to a clean spot, and solder them directly to the sensor, or get a new connector. The sensor connectors go bad easily because they are so close to the battery and get exposed to the fumes. Is there an echo in here guys and gals or just deja vu?

If that sensor is not getting a PERFECT connection, the engine will flood out and stall. Every time the engine moves,(like when it is revving or when you are attempting to start it) the resistance will change, if the connector is bad, causing it to work/not work. Good luck and welcome to Hybridz!

Brian

81zxturbo(my brother's new toy)

95slobaru

02kawi