HybridZ

gsxr throttle bodies on a v8

after working so hard on making my dash fancy, i kinda wanna go all out on my intake side of the motor im building. i was wondering if anyone has a link for a page that anyone has done this, ive seen tons of other individual throttle bodies. but not the gsxr ones.

PJ. The co. Thats rebuilding my sbc does a lot of work on the toyota v8s for speedway work. They have manifolds that mate the quad bodys of a 4ag motor onto the v8. Looks really cool but still expensive. If i were going to do it i would look for a constant flow fuel injection manifold or one made for downdraft webers. You could then find four stuffed webers or similar and gut them and just use them as throttle body's.

Douglas

Gixxer TB's!? COOL

Those are what 43mm, oh wait are you talking off of a 1000 then I'm not sure.

Would you plan on keeping the dual injectors? I would think they would need upgrading.

43mm should be able to support 550hp. Don't qoute me though I havn't read that book in about 3 years.

Isk

i talked to a guy thats been building racing teching cars and bikes (specifically suzukis) for 3 decades and he said to run 4 pair of throttle bodies off of a tl1000s because they use one injector per tb. iskone: what book did you read? zrossa: whats a 4ag? i have the facilities to custom make a manifold, and from the research ive done so far this all looks relatively feasible for about 500 bucks and alot of work on my end which doesnt frighten me in the least. webers are too expensive and nice to gut, id rather start with a solid piece of aluminum and make my own throttle bodies, but id need to disect one first. john dixon: what price did you pay and whats a good price?

P.J.

How big is the engine that you are building? S.B.C.'s that ran formula 5000 used 48 mm webers. The thing was that the venturi(sp?) was a lot smaller, mabye 38 mm. Fuel injection doesnt have the venturi so that a smaller body can flow a lot more than say a carb the same size. I would guess that each 42mm body would be enough to flow about 100 hp each. This is only from thing I have read so dont take it as exact, but it seems to work for smaller 4 bangers.

Douglas

im building a 350, i really think the 42 is too small each cylinder will only see a speed of like 350 cfm, if a single 42 mm throttle body could flow 100 hp each then why are 4 used on a bike like a gsxr that makes under 200 hp? on a 1 litre motor

Thats a fair point P j. The only thing i can come up with is that the bike engine revs a lot higher and that there is not a lot of room on the bikes for the bodies so maybe they make them wider to compensate. I have a dyno test in an old car and car conversions mag. that did tests on different bodies from converted webers to tappered 48mm ones on a 2lt vauxhaul engine. The engine made the best all round power on the smaller bodies and only a little more top end on the larger ones. All made over 100 hp per liter. I will try to find a link to the toyota ones for you.

Douglas

that layout on the quad cam motor is almost exactly the style i want to run, im thinking about making one base manifold similar to those then make spacers so that the setup can be modified on the dyno to increase the runner length much like carb spacers, until we get an optimal setup for what we are running. on down draft carbs i read its better to tune using manifold length than it is to try and tune using the "ram tubes" but their justification was that its because it allows the fuel more time to atomize in the manifold, so does running efi nullify the manifold length (within reason)

Have a read of the faq's in the link that john posted. They talk a little about it. They are basiclly saying that the higher rpm you turn the closer you will want the buterflys to be to the inlet valve. Do a search on the aussie v8 super cars. They probably have one of the best manifold designs for stock style chevy heads and they dont rev past 7500 rpm. The buterflys are quite far from the inlet port.

Douglas

Yes, I would be interested. It would have to be a good price though. The cheepest i have seen them is about $3100 usd. At that price landed in NZ it works out to around $5000 nzd + a computer, fuel lines, pumps, and regulaters. That would be more then i have invested in the rest of the car put together. I guess a lot would depend on how much you pay for the throttle bodies. I also had a bit of a search around for some photos of the cross ram style use on the v8 supercars but couldnt find and recent photos. Always find it difficult finding tech. info. about them.

Douglas

well i talked to my friend jay who is also a hybridzer briefly last night, and once the setup is tried and tested i couldnt expect to ever ask more than 2000 for it. he works at a machine shop and hes also an engineering student so between the two of us we could definitely engineer something sweet. we probably wouldnt sell it as a whole plug and play kit, we would use something like megasquirt or maybe we would offer just the throttle bodies and the manifold.

ive been trying to figure out how difficult it would be to make our own throttle bodies exactly how we want them but i really need to get my hands on a bunch of different types before i can do that. this project is really exciting me, ive gotta get a motor up and running and in my car lickety split so i can get this project moving before summer :)

soooooo in a twisted bit of irony, i was on the jenvey-dynamics website i looked to see who sells them in the states: RABYs aircooled technology, who happens to be my bosses porsche engine builder whom we are going to see and get an engine from in march and spend a week hanging out with while we race at road atlanta. this is a really weird twist of events but this RABY guy is a genius and ill be able to pick his brain and take notes :)

• 2 weeks later...