HybridZ

turbo parts interchange?

onephatz

I've got several turbos that I would like to do some mixing and matching if possable. I wanted to know if one can purchase a t4e housing, backing plate, and wheel and install it on a stock t3 turbo from a zx? I also wanted to know if that same type of thing could be accoplished with mistibishi turbos vs garrett turbos. the links below give me some ideas of what I could do if I have the right information. stuff like can a stage 3 wheel fit into a stage 1 housing. is the turbine shaft long enough to install a larger wheel. is the turbine shaft the correct size(large shaft vs small shaft)? stuff like that.

http://linux.forcedperformance.net/merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=FP&Category_Code=UNIV-Tcomp

http://64.225.76.178/catalog/Default.htm

I wonder because I have inherited several turbos from various people. some are really shot, and some are still in good shape. here's what I have:

3 turbos off late 80's chrysler products- Garrett and MHI i think

2 turbos of early zx's (stock t3)garrett

1 turbo off a 2g dsm(t25)garrett

1 turbo off a 1g dsm(14b)MHI

1 turbo with t3 exhaust housing, shot center, and 60-1 compressor housing (i think it came from turbonetics)

is there a way to tell if a turbo is rebuildable? can I use a good center section from one turbo and get a new compressor/turbine wheels to use with the turbine housing and compressor housing from another turbo that has a bad center section?

lots of q's I know but this is something that I could really get into.

any info would be great

thanks

jesse