HybridZ

280z tranny/ Whats the pros and cons for turbo?

violacleff

What are the pros and cons for the 280z tranny on the quarter mile/freeway? I have one behind my 240z turbo. I had an NA 280zx tranny but my short shift kit wouldn't fit it so I put in the 280z tranny. I suppose I should have asked before hand but oh well. BTW my parents stuck my zx tranny outside while I was away and it got pounded by the rain. Is it ruined from the water? Or would it be ok? Also can the tranny be rebuilt with beefier parts and is it worth getting one rebuilt or just buying them from the jy? My motor should be making around 400hp when I get a stand alone and I will be doing some racing.

I used a short 63cm 4wd 721 truck transmission which is identical to a zx tranny except the tailshaft is shorter.The transmission lasted a several years behind a 2.8 then a 3 liter, when I started running a fairly large shot of N20 it lasted about a season of drag/street racing.That is with 260rwh and around 280fpt.

Around 100 street /strip.A friend with a 240z and around 300rwh had the zx trannys last about a year.He just bought a BW T5 from the junk and installed it in His 240z with the option of upgrading to a World Class T5 or a GForce T5 kit in the future.I have seen the BW units last for over 2 years behind a 85 300zx turbo with a 100 rwh shot of N20 and a set of ET streets.